Jan 29, 2006
That’s some next level detailing! Too nice!
They all look outstanding! Great job on those Flat cars makes them look very detailed and realistic!
Rob! nice job with the material you used!
I just got today one of my 3D printed track M-3 switch Machine! I had it printed anyway, and it came out as good as I thought it would! But Shapeways would have rejected it due to some areas having thin walls! but I think I'm kind of crazy trying to do things like this! Now to prime and paint to bring out some of the small details like bolts and switch lever!
Also working on this Frishes Big boy! just looking for a building to put it on! This wasn't my design but found on Shapeways look good on small fast food! just primed and hand painted! ￼
The switch machines are cool I really like those details and what is not to love about the big boy! In High school we had plans to steal the big boy….never made it though. Haha.
Love the Big Boy! I'll do one too soon, but for now, I'm starting on one of these:
Oh boy! I just put in a $200 Shapeways order this week, and now I will have to be going back again! Those switch machines look great!
That one is cool to! I like Taco Bell one of my favorites! The Switch Machines didn't have any specifications on the drawing I found just a break down! and some of the parts are thin I had to print them anyway to get them if they print them, I will have to do some more work on them!!
Excellent work on the switch machines, nice detail!
Like the Bigboy as well. Great paint job!
Nice layout and graphics for Taco Bell.
I made some progress today. Drawings done:
Electrical wired in. This time I used a bridge rectifier and a couple 8 gang resistor arrays, reducing current to 6 milliamps for each LED, once I get them in.
Great job on the brick and shingles! Very realistic look you have going there!
Totally the old school Taco Bell!
Spent the day re-drawing the structure because I want it wider so I can fit umbrella's and have planter boxes on the sides. Then I started on the lamps. First was to research what they looked like. They were huge, which is good for me. Here are the prototypes:
So I drew them up for raster etch:
And put an 0402 LED, dipped in Tamiya Clear Orange to get the color I want, because I don't have any 0402 Orange LED's:
Then I mounted one on the front. I accidentally crushed it wile fiddling the wires in, and tried to re-form it, and was semi successful, although I will be more careful in the future. There are 12 of these lamps on the Taco Bell. Oh, I also did the gas fire pit that they used to run up till the 1973 energy crisis, but have not worked out lighting for it yet:
Wow, bringing back some memories of my childhood Robert! I never liked the mexican food they had, so when the fam and I went there in Lynwood, Wa, I always got the "Bellburger" which was just a bun with they're ground beef and shredded cheese in it, lol!
So far, your getting it spot on, Sir!
While the hassle of producing a dozen wrought iron lamps for the Taco Bell, I had a moment, and decided it could be made with an assembly alignment jig.
I had dipped a mess of 0402 LED's first in clear UV glue and exposed them to make small drip shaped light bulbs out of them, twisted the wires, then dipped in Tamiya Clear Orange and let hang dry. I tested them all OK, with only 2 needing another dip to get that deep orange glow I was looking for. So the next step was to cut out the lampshades, fold them on the pre-scribed fold lines that the needle is pointing to, and thread the lamp wires through. The assembly jig is made from 4 layers of White Lazerboard with peel and stick on it, and each layer has a square hole that is 10 thousandths of an inch smaller than the previous layer.
The next step was to push the folded lamp shade into the jig, until the top of the lampshade is almost flush with the top of the jig, then it can be flipped over and a dab of glue applied to the bottom of the lampshade, keeping it wrapped around the lamp. The peel and stick adhesive slightly holds the lampshade in place well while the glue hardens.
And since the amount of glue used in so minuscule, it dries to the point you can pull the lamp out in 60 seconds, and start on the next lamp. It actually moves along as fast as it takes a guy to paint 1 window frame on a 3D printed building, so there is still a bit of tedium if you are making a lot of them, but it moves along pretty fast.
And they look pretty convincing when done, not too over-sized, and not too bright, just about right:
Taco Bell is looking fantastic! Love the fire pit, although I did not know they had them (before my time).
Damn fine work on those lamps and love the forming/glueing jig!
You are a problem solver.
I found some time to work on the loco cradle.
I cut a 1/4 inch thick scrap piece of aluminum for a weighted base.
Next I glued all the foam sections together, except the front and back, I need to straighten the back side of the front section.
Below is a shot of everything set on top of each other.
Next up, glue top layer on.