About a quarter century ago I bought a number of the brand new Kato Mikados. As with most of my steam locomotives I wanted to make them more railroad specific. First up was for the Santa Fe. I kit bashed a new tender to hang behind it using an MRC Berkshire tender with Con Cor six wheel Commonwealth tender trucks and an oil bunker. This was good enough for the time but I had plans. As soon as Kato stocked parts for the Mikado I bought another mechanism and shell along with other bits in order to do a proper job of giving it a makeover to closer resemble an ATSF mike. This allowed me to work on the upgrade while still running the original engine. Well, after modifying the shell with two large sand domes the project wound up on the back burner. Fast foreword a few decades and a pandemic to when I got tired of shuffling the box of parts around and decide to revisit the project. New technology now available was added at this time like a sunny white micro LED in the headlight and a DCC decoder. Now, what to do with the original mechanism and boiler shell. Hmm I guess the original tender was used on another project. (an ATSF Atlantic) I had a left over Bachmann Consolidation tender that I had replaced with a cylindrical tender on an SP locomotive. To the Bachmann tender I added Kato tender trucks and draw bar as well as an oil bunker and dog house. Voilà, a MoPac USRA heavy Mikado. Another of my first Mikados got the Southern Pacific treatment to look like a T&NO MK5. I added a cylindrical tender and changed some details. This one got a different tender, a kit bashed boiler shell and an extra driver set making it a 2-10-2. And finally, a pretty much stock Mikado with a few details changed and an oil bunker on the tender.