Jun 23, 2008
This is less common amongst contractors, so I am VERY happy to know Jim found these people!
Afraid I can't take credit on this one; these are the guys the plumber's company called...but yes, appreciate the sentiment! Thanks!
Been away, so I can only say I am sorry for what happened...... I hope the Oakville sub returns to it's glory!
A bit depressing this weekend. Here is the current status of the Sub:
Unfortunately the plumber's insurance company has elected to play games and the contractor has moved on to other jobs. I'm stabilized, and you can see where they cut the drywall away to make sure there was no latent moisture, and it's all good. When the insurance company (Cincinatti Insurance BTW, and after this I wouldn't touch 'em with a ten foot pole) finally moves, they're ready to patch the drywall and lay the floor and ceiling.
Upstairs - you don't wanna know. Next step is to move cabinets to remove the flooring under them. We have no cooktop, oven, or microwave, only the refrigerator. This is getting old.
The basement will probably be finished long before we have a house again.
Am involved in doing the demo and repairs on two of these homes with water damage in the basements, and waiting on either plumbers or insurance companies.... frustration can get purty high. Am feeling for you!
I’m a little surprised - Cincinnati is usually one of the good guys. Hopefully this gets resolved soon.
Baby steps. After a two week wait for the insurance people, I finally have activity. Note the new drywall. We were lucky in the basement, no structural issues whatever and things dried up very nicely.
Upstairs they are preparing to install new flooring. A pod arrives today and the furniture from that floor will repose there until the urethane is cured. And we will be in a hotel while that is going on.
I keep hearing numbers like 25 or 30 thousand thrown around.
Glad to see things are coming along. Hope they can get you back to normal in a short time.
Unreal. Glad to hear things are moving towards normal again.
An update on reconstruction of the Sub - drywall has been replaced and will be sanded tomorrow; some ceiling tiles have been replaced.
The reno contractor has been most cooperative and as you see has draped they layout extensively. What you can't see is he has also tarped all the doors to contain the sanding residue. They plan to spend all day Monday cleaning, then move to painting.
It's not impossible to think I may be able to try a cleaning train sometime next week. We will also find out if the dramatic swings of temperature and humidity are going to mess things up. I'm hoping the use of the spline proves it's worth.
Moving in the right direction, Jim. Good to see some progress again. I too am interested in how the spline fared.
Well having once experienced a fire that destroyed my train layout underway, I feel your pain Jim. Fortunately for me, the layout was just being roughed in.
I hope to see the Oakville Sub back to running soon!
Wow. What an ordeal! Reminds me of a very good friend, (non-model RR), who had a water damage/plumbing disaster. It took several years to recover, and even then, never fully. (I was involved in helping to move, store and more...) Dealing with an insurance company through a certain "retirement" organization. VERY bad news there, both home and auto aren't what they advertise!!!!!!!!!
I have been following this horrible disaster and saddened by the damage to one of my favorite layouts.
I do hope the Oakville Sub will be restored and running soon.
Here's the current state of the Sub:
Drywall work completed and first paint applied. They are still working on replacing ceiling tiles, finding it almost impossible to get undamaged tiles (at $3 each) from Lowes. Also floor is going in the south room.
All that big hole was not caused by the disaster - it was close by the track in this area, and I thought I'd do a revamp while I was at it. So yes, I did some modeling last week. Or destruction. Cleaned up around the Bealville ranch also...
A closer shot of the ripped out hill.
And I don't think this will be all that much trouble to fix; I used cardboard between the tracks and it dropped away when prodded; figure to stuff weatherstripping up from below and reballast. Sure am glad I keep extra on hand!
All things considered, the damage to the Sub is minimal. I'm curious what your rebuild in this area will hold?
We shall see, Hemi...stay tuned. First thing - when they get the floor done - will be to see if a cleaning train can make it. Not at all sure about all the hidden track, and there were humongous temp/humidity swings compared to the way it normally is. Haven't SEEN any problems yet though.
New scenery only after trains run.
New scenery only after trains run.
This has always been my mantra!
Glad to see you are back in business
After a bit more than two months, the contractor has left - with everything as good or better than before. Now begins the long slow cleaning and testing of the layout. Maybe we'll see trains next week...
Wow, amazing! Looks good as new! Glad you are finally done with this, at least from the room point of view. I think your layout will be fine after you inspect it.