SP H-12-44 Project

jwaldo Nov 11, 2022

  1. jwaldo

    jwaldo TrainBoard Member

    441
    936
    29
    The decoder went in, no smoke came out, and the loco runs great. Better yet, it all fits under the shell!

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Until I sort out the lights, the function wires can be conveniently routed out the cab door. And speaking of lights, my UDE lights arrived from Shapeways. Any advice for working with 3D printed parts?
     
    BoxcabE50, MK, SP-Wolf and 3 others like this.
  2. jwaldo

    jwaldo TrainBoard Member

    441
    936
    29
    I took the frame for a test drive on the club layout; I still have to find the best CV settings to accommodate the old 3-pole motor, but for now it runs at least as well as it did before I modified it. Nothing left to do to the frame but add LEDs. @Sumner, I see you've used some very neat flexible PCB strip for LED wiring, any idea where I can find some? My searches have turned up empty-handed.


    In the meantime, the rest of the loco is in the paint booth. I'd hoped to spray at least the red today, but the primer turned up some flaws that I need to patch first.

    [​IMG]
     
    BoxcabE50, BNSF FAN, eposte12 and 7 others like this.
  3. Sumner

    Sumner TrainBoard Member

    1,987
    3,091
    51
    I believe this is where I got some a couple years ago.

    https://www.cozyardor.website/detai...inseitig-Oder-Beidseitig_80ajikknnlmgmmo.html

    $1.05 for 500mm. Shipping is a little high but not if you buy more than 1 500mm strip. I did approach a U.S. seller that sells a lot of decoders to think about stocking the flexible PCB strips but it didn't go anywhere. I think there isn't a big market here but think there is one that could grow.

    I did recently find an alternative and that is 38 awg magnet wire that you don't have to strip or burn the insulation off of as the insulation is actually a flux. Makes it much easier to solder to the wire or the wire to other wire or something else.... ( HERE ).

    Sumner





     
    jwaldo likes this.
  4. jwaldo

    jwaldo TrainBoard Member

    441
    936
    29
    Thanks! That shipping is definitely on the high side. Magnet wire is my usual go-to, but it's so tiny it always leaves me a little cross-eyed. I suppose I'll grit my teeth and get out the magnifier again. It's only 3 LEDs, how bad could it be? :LOL:
     
    bremner and Hoghead2 like this.
  5. jwaldo

    jwaldo TrainBoard Member

    441
    936
    29
    Busy day today. I got the shell patched and painted before the rain came in. While that cures I've started working on the handrails. For now they're lightly soldered together, but I'll probably reinforce the joints with a little bit of epoxy. The shell needs a couple of minor paint retouches before I decal, too.

    [​IMG]
     
    BNSF FAN, ogre427, alister and 7 others like this.
  6. Calzephyr

    Calzephyr TrainBoard Supporter

    4,145
    1,110
    74
    Great work on this project!
     
    jwaldo likes this.
  7. tehachapifan

    tehachapifan TrainBoard Member

    1,808
    632
    44
    Yes, that looks great!:eek:

    I see that you added jacking pads. Did you already post what you did for those?
     
    jwaldo likes this.
  8. jwaldo

    jwaldo TrainBoard Member

    441
    936
    29
    Thanks! I completely forgot to document the jacking pads. But what I did for each one was file a notch into the sill with a square jewelers' file, cement in a couple slices of strip styrene stacked in a roughly jacking-pad-shaped arrangement, and sand off any excess styrene that was sticking out the sides. The styrene was from my scraps drawer and all the dimensions were eyeballed; any semblance of accuracy is almost pure luck :LOL:
     
    SP-Wolf, tehachapifan and DeaconKC like this.
  9. jwaldo

    jwaldo TrainBoard Member

    441
    936
    29
    Lots of things to juggle as the loco approaches the finish line. I put the lettering decals on both sides before having to take a break; getting those big decals to lay flat over all the hinges and latches was more than enough fun for one decal session!

    While I recovered from decals, I sprayed the handrails with a light coat of automotive self-etching primer. Hopefully that will provide enough adhesion that I can mask the handrail ends and bottoms, and not have the paint pop off in one big handrail-shaped piece like my last project.

    Finally on the building front, SMD resistors arrived so I wired up the LEDs. I fabricated some quick and dirty styrene brackets to hold the LEDs in place behind the openings. I also added a few miles of Kapton tape to hold everything in place :LOL:

    [​IMG]

    I tweaked a few CVs (and flipped the motor over, doh!), and it's running and lighting up. Even with maximum back-EMF it'll never creep like a modern switcher, but it'll do a respectably slow pace once it's going.
     
    BNSF FAN, alister, DeaconKC and 6 others like this.
  10. JMaurer1

    JMaurer1 TrainBoard Member

    2,165
    1,268
    47
    Hey, you put the decals on after the primer coat and before the black paint...next comes the orange stripes and THEN the road name...
     

Share This Page