Feb 19, 2007
Ready for masking....
Hey Michael, if you need some good silicone sealant for those tilt panels I’m your man!
That’s a great looking build buddy!
Thanks Dale, I need a good microscopic sealant man.
Here we go....
One color in books...
Lots to get to in this one, probably have to be in 2 posts, so here goes. Wain took the night off to continue his work the Rainier Great Western RIP building. He sent us pics tonight of some of that work.
Laying out the structure on his bench:
A quick test fit:
After gluing the roof panels together, he added the trusses:
This building is going to be heavily detailed as Wain is going for AP points for his MMR designation.
Scott continued his weathering of the Edwards and Bradford mill. He raided my supply of rust washes somewhere during the evening.
He then rounded up some scrap parts to add a truck chute to the debarker building.
Doug cleaned up the Maple Valley area. Might be the first time it's looked this clean in a year or so.
I spent much of the evening in the garage painting the AMPAC building. Giving the upper band its first coat.
Then giving the piping three coats of flat aluminum.
As fate has it I ran out of the upper band color so it's off to the Hobby store tomorrow.
In the next post I'll show some of the work Ed has been doing on the track detector.
Over the last several weeks, Ed has been working diligently on installing our Boulder Creek Engineering "TrainBoss" track defect detector. In fact it has been ages since I can remember seeing him in any position other than this one:
But seriously, it's been a heck of a project and it is now working. I'm trying to splice a video together for another post, so stay tuned for that.
The system uses two IR sensors placed about 6 inches apart.
The train runs through the beam and sets off the detector.
Under the table he's mounted the electronics and a 3ohm speaker.
On a fascia panel it shows the axle count and many other things if you so like. It's currently telling us a fictitious "current temperature". There are many more to choose from, all you need do is program the module.
I ordered a custom voice module that included the word "Rainier". It is my intention to have the detector say it is a Rainier Great Western detector at a specific milepost. The detector randomly announces track defects that the engineer and dispatcher must address. It will be a unique addition to our operating sessions
I'll get working on that video. Thanks for checking in.
Well, decided to make a color change. Just didn't like how dark the color turned out once dry, so out it goes.
Switched to Vallejo white gray. Hoping it turns out more to my liking.
Here's how she looks with a couple of trim colors to go.
I'm far more pleased with this color combination than the prior one. Before calling it a night I masked the upper portion.
I was tempted to mask the lower as well, and paint the trim, but I just know I would peel back the tape tomorrow and the White Gray would pull up. So I'll give it 24 hours and finish it tomorrow
Even with specialty/automotive painting masks, there can be problems if you don't allow enough time.
Well, despite my best intentions, I have some paint bleed on the blue stripes (not smart enough to seal the mask), so I'll be doing touch up work in a bit. But for now I'll let it dry. I think this combo is a superior improvement. Very pleased.
Fixed about 90% of the bleed and I'll finish the rest tomorrow. Installed the delivery door and painted the drip cap flat aluminum and the foundation concrete. Time to call it a night.
Well, I think this side of the building is a wrap!
Now going back to finishing the silos.
It almost looks like it belongs...
I think other than some minor weathering, this building is done.
Now on to the PACCAR assembly plant in Renton.
Here's a primer on the next build. PACCAR (Pacific Car and Foundry, est 1905) has its primary assembly plant in Renton, WA. They build Kenworth and Peterbuilt trucks /chassis. We are going to take a bit of creative license and build the back end of the plant where supplies are delivered and completed trucks are shipped out.
For a little background on the company, check here:
Trying to remember when they built that. About 1975? It was across the street from the rail car plant. No spur track that I recall. Was originally a dirt and gravel area, where we parked our cars. (Got really muddy when it rained. Was a cold hike to our cars in the off seasons....)
Scenery seemed to be the theme of the evening as Wain, Scott and Doug made progress on several fronts. Wain and Doug continued detailing the Maple Valley area:
Scott continued his work around the lumber mill:
He's detailing the bark dumpsters with rust and loads. He'll put ground up leaves debris on the foam insert to simulate the bark. He also painted and installed the bark chute on the debarker building:
Ed made quick work of sealing up the infrared sensors on the defect detector.
Meanwhile I installed one section of tree-lined photo backdrop and made a start on assembling the overhead crane for PACCAR:
That's pretty much it for tonight. More to come as always. Thanks for checking in.
Making progress on the PACCAR traveling crane.
Spent some time this afternoon working on the traveling crane. I've decided to bring it into the current day by scratch building the hoist. It will also include a pendant control and trolley system.
I used the hoist base from the kit, then using scrap styrene I fashioned the winch system. I also scratch built the hoist cover.
I'll paint the hoist, then I'll run the wire rope and attach the cover. Here's a couple of pics of the assembly in place at the future PACCAR plant.