Feb 19, 2007
Looking great I'm digging this.
After a night of social distancing with two of the crew, here's the update. Wain came by and worked on the RGW rip shed. He's building a 40 scale foot ramp to access the rolltop door.
Rey put time in scratch building log cars. He's completed the chassis, so tonight he was working on the bulkheads.
I started the evening by painting a yellow stripe on all of the steps of the 3 ladders. I then put them in place.
Once they were all in place, I added security chains on each ladder.
Later in the evening, I painted a portion of each chain yellow for visibility.
Here's how all 3 look on the building.
That's it for tonight.
What are the initials on that log car? Looks like St.R.P.Co? Something like St. Regis Paper Company?
Yes on both counts. He's using that car as the basis for the other three
Great detail work!
Rip track building looks great
Which kit did you use for the coal mine
Walthers New River Mining Company. I just kitbashed it into smaller version to accommodate space requirements. I also see this kit everywhere, so I didn't want mine (nice pun 'eh) to look like all the rest.
Even better it's on sale today.
Painting the Boeing Renton Plant today. Here's where we started:
Here's what we are after:
Here's where we are:
Going to have to coat entire structure with a highly diluted gray white mix to get the colors right. More to come.
Excellent progress Michael!
A little bit of a different project today; modifying figures by repositioning the arms or legs, or even the head position. I decided to try my luck at this about a week ago and Amazon delivered my supplies yesterday.
I will be using white Apoxie Sculpt to form the needed parts. I will also be using a homemade jig to hold the figures.
I saw this on YouTube, simple to make, just hot glue a small piece of wood to a weighted surface, then hot glue a curved hairclip on top of the wood.
My first subject is the guy with his hands up in the air in the center of the following picture.
I used a new blade to cut off the arms. My original goal was to reuse them, but alas one has disappeared into thin air. So he gets two new arms. I'm also going to add a small bill to the back of his bald head to simulate a construction worker with his helmet on backwards.
First, I need to create a structure to put the putty on. I used a #75 drill bit in my dremel, then CA glued 020 brass rod in the holes and once dry, I put the arms in a new configuration.
Apoxie Sculpt is a two part mixture and you have upwards of 3 hours to work with it once you've thoroughly mixed the 2 halves. I did all that and using rubber shaping brushes I came up with this:
Now I can set him aside and in 24 hours I can sand the arms to final shape.
I also decided to fix a guy I butchered a while ago trying to get him to fit in my ice cream shop.
I drilled the legs first.
Then applied the putty and sculpted the legs to rough position.
Here you can see how I used the new part holder.
I'm excited to see how this turns out once hardened. Thx for checking in.
Wave your hands in the air! Like you just don't care! Work looks great!
Much more realistic poses Micheal.
How easy it to work the putty/epoxy as this could be a figure game changer so they don't look all alike.
Just ordered a new river mine any stumbling blocks I need to know about.
As yours turned out great and I hope mine pun intended will be half as good.
Very straight forward. You'll enjoy it.
Apoxie Sculpt is workable for up to 3 hours. I found a small rubber sculpting brush set on Amazon and they worked fine. A small bowl of water on hand allows you to keep the putty malleable until you're done.
Hey, hey, ho ho.....
Someone's listening to ye ole school rock.
Just no baseball bat beatings hehehehehehe.