I have 2 2nd gen versions and 2 3rd gen versions of this model. It's easily one of my favorite steamers and living in Baltimore makes it a special prototype to me. Lets face it though, this model isn't very good for anything other than removing the motor and using it for a static model. However these things can be found for $10 and I can't seem to pass them up. I've always badly wanted to use this model but had no idea what to do with it, until I found an old post by SteamDonkey74. Bingo! This will be my first step in doing anything 'technical' in N-scale http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthread.php?26006-Bachmann-0-4-0-re-work Taking this thing apart is easy but for me, seeing the parts is another thing all together. Note to self... get your eyes checked. A few years ago I found some tiny motors for cheap and snagged one. A Mashima MHK1015 with a 5:1 reduction gearhead from Gizmoszone. http://www.gizmoszone.com/shopping/agora.cgi?page=gearmotor.htm Mashima Quarted Size Comparison by critinchiken posted Mar 11, 2017 at 10:12 PM They were limited edition then, so not sure it would be easy to find now. Some changes to the model were necessary to make it all work. First up are the contacts for the old motor. These needed to be trimmed down to fit the wider Mashima motor. Modified Gear Keepers Current Tabs by critinchiken posted Mar 11, 2017 at 9:37 PM With these trimmed, I could no longer use them to conduct power, so I soldered 30ga. wire to the driver wipers after some extensive cleaning and polishing. These things were quite gunked up. Heres the result. Driver Wipers by critinchiken posted Mar 11, 2017 at 10:18 PM With those tasks completed, I reassembled the lower end, quartered the drivers and installed the running gear. Checking that the motor will now go in it's place, I did a test run of the running gear by hand with out the motor. Not good... seems one of the drivers will free-spin out of quarter over and over again, and wobbles loosely. Took it all apart and low and behold, just what I didn't want to see. A split driver gear. Split Driver Gear by critinchiken posted Mar 11, 2017 at 10:21 PM This is the very reason I didn't want to use the 3rd gen 0-4-0... white plastic gears. However the 1st and 2nd gen models have over sized driver flanges and won't work with code 55 track. Seems there once was a company offering brass replacement gears, but are no longer available. If anyone else have a source for better gears for this thing, I'm all ears! Back to the workbench. Looking through my spare parts I find not much better news. Both of my main gears seem fine, however 3 of my 4 driver gears have splits. Test fitting the drivers, I pick the best 2 I can find and go. Driver And Main Gears by critinchiken posted Mar 11, 2017 at 10:27 PM Once reassembled and tested by hand, everything seemed fine. This is where I learned how important quartering is. Anything slightly out and it's obvious immediately! I did have to do a little bending to stop some minor binding, but after a little fine tuning the lower end was moving nicely! At this point I placed the motor on the chassis to see what else was needed to make it all work. This revealed that the boiler weight won't fit over the motor, so I used battery powered mini Craftsman rotary tool with a de-burring bit to shave away some material making sure to remove only small amounts at a time and test fitting. This thing needs all the weight it can get. Here is the end result with an unmodified weight for comparison. Modified Weight by critinchiken posted Mar 11, 2017 at 10:13 PM There was some very minor shaving I had to do to the plastic chassis as well, but I forgot to photo document that part. I'll note however, that I wanted to see better gear mesh by lowering the position of the motor. The gear head has a ton of play on the shaft, and I didn't like the idea of the worm losing contact with the main gear by lifting completely off from play. Also the first test run revealed a VERY tight fit with the shell on, making it VERY loud. Here you can see the mesh. Looks a bit too tight in this picture, but trust me... the slop in the shaft compensates for it just fine. Rebuilt Bottom Gear Mesh by critinchiken posted Mar 11, 2017 at 10:37 PM Here is a shot of the back end. I used the edge of a Gold Metal Models steam detailing kit to make a strap. Also note the 'shim' in the back. It's actually a tiny lead disc used for balancing RC models. Rebuilt Bottom End With New Motor by critinchiken posted Mar 11, 2017 at 10:32 PM With the 4" 30ga. leads twisted together and the shell in place, it was time for yet another test run. All I can say is wow! Test Fit Shell by critinchiken posted Mar 11, 2017 at 10:47 PM Bachmann 0-4-0 re-motor slow speed creep - YouTube by critinchiken posted Mar 11, 2017 at 11:13 PM A few more off camera test runs with a stopwatch reveal that this 0-4-0 Dockside starts out at less than a half scale mph, and tops out at around 22 scale mph. Nice switching speeds!! Further testing and I got this little steamer to drag 3 Fox Valley Models wagontop boxcars up a grade somewhere between a 3.5% and a 4% grade! I'm very happy that! There's more to come with this model, I've started some detailing with the shell, and like SteamDonkey74, a kitbashed brakemans hack with a decoder is in order, using a Bachmann tender for the extra pickup for getting through turn outs. New Shell Detail Back End by critinchiken posted Mar 11, 2017 at 10:58 PM New Shell Detail Front End by critinchiken posted Mar 11, 2017 at 11:02 PM New Bell And Steam Whistle by critinchiken posted Mar 12, 2017 at 12:21 AM That's all for now, I'll update as I continue. Thanks for reading!