Modified Time Saver Layout

Doorgunnerjgs Nov 5, 2016

  1. gmorider

    gmorider TrainBoard Member

    742
    886
    25
    Is that "Sticky Fingers Louise"? :rolleyes:
     
  2. vince p

    vince p TrainBoard Member

    1,218
    877
    23
    TDF GMO TDF

    Thought that was Thelma & Louise though
     
  3. Doorgunnerjgs

    Doorgunnerjgs TrainBoard Member

    521
    638
    17
    In my slow and uncertain progress, here is an update on my smaller module. First picture shows mostly the "ditch" area with the original paint job and a small area with the light over-painting of a gray consisting of white and small amounts of yellow oxide, burnt sienna, and mars black. The second shows the overall area. The edges of the area near the ties was lightly washed with a darker gray created by adding more mars black and lots of water.
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    BNSF FAN and Joe Lovett like this.
  4. Doorgunnerjgs

    Doorgunnerjgs TrainBoard Member

    521
    638
    17
    Okay, after weeks (months?) of procrastination, I have finally restarted my efforts on this module. I had to finally get it straight in my mind that the next step had to be wiring, then rail painting, then ballasting, and then more scenery stuff.
    Since I use L-girder, wiring was problematic as angled holes needed to be drilled in some cases, wire feeding through hollow door is interesting, to say the least, and in one case (so far) wire taped to coat hanger wire was needed to do the job. Binder clips were temporarily applied to wire ends to prevent them from pulling through during soldering.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    BNSF FAN likes this.
  5. vince p

    vince p TrainBoard Member

    1,218
    877
    23
    Looking great J

    My stuff is all on hold seems Oregon and California have told the smokey the bear to send all their smoke my way can't open windows to paint, get fresh air oooops my what fresh air lol.
     
  6. Doorgunnerjgs

    Doorgunnerjgs TrainBoard Member

    521
    638
    17
    A little more progress.

    Most of the yard area on the small module is now wired.

    First, a picture as it stands now. All those connectors are have the other ends soldered to the rails. Eventually, a removable fascia will be added to hide the wires. As can be seen, work is not being done under the layout as I have a cabinet there AND I'm too old and decrepit to even think about working underneath! lol
    [​IMG]

    I have been operating the entire layout, up until now with only the connection seen here at the end of a spur, without problems.
    [​IMG]

    And here is another overall view to get an idea as to how much rail was being run by that one connection. Just left of center, the area where the single connection can be seen.
    [​IMG]
     
    z4driver and BNSF FAN like this.
  7. Shortround

    Shortround TrainBoard Member

    1,040
    120
    31
    When I can hopfully get more to it I'll probably build on top of storage cabinets as well. So, I imagine I will have the same issue getting down there.
    I'm already riding a 'girls' bike :rolleyes:
     
    Doorgunnerjgs likes this.
  8. Sumner

    Sumner TrainBoard Member

    665
    677
    15
    Great idea and thanks for posting it. I'm working on a test track now and have put off working on the larger staging yard probably for not wanting to work under the table. I'm going to copy that and bring all the wiring forward as much as possible now.

    Also like your progress and hope the pictures keep coming,

    Sumner
     
    BNSF FAN and Doorgunnerjgs like this.
  9. Doorgunnerjgs

    Doorgunnerjgs TrainBoard Member

    521
    638
    17
    Finally, The End in Sight (wiring the module)

    Last five pairs of wires have been pulled through the small module! Once they're soldered in place, the rail painting and CelluClay land contours can begin! In total, 32 pairs of wires were required and, as can be inferred, I'm a slow modeler!

    Here are the last five connections and that wire on the board is all that is left of 50' EACH of red and black, 18 gauge wire.
    [​IMG]

    Showing the majority of connections, 27 pairs (plus about 3 bad ones where feeder wire no held deep enough to be fastened).

    [​IMG]
     
    traingeekboy, BNSF FAN and Sumner like this.
  10. S t e f a n

    S t e f a n TrainBoard Member

    80
    25
    3
    Congrats on finishing that part of wiring.

    I'm trying to tell myself that this will be part of the fun - not sure I'm succeeding...
     
    Doorgunnerjgs likes this.
  11. Doorgunnerjgs

    Doorgunnerjgs TrainBoard Member

    521
    638
    17
    It took me a couple of weeks to do those 27 pairs. Sometimes just drilling 5 or 6 pairs of holes, then the next night pulling the wires, and soldering and fastening them the next. At my age, slow and easy seems to be my way of life! lol
     
    BNSF FAN and Sumner like this.
  12. Doorgunnerjgs

    Doorgunnerjgs TrainBoard Member

    521
    638
    17
    Been trying to do more fiber optic stuff rather than direct LED's. I've tried melting the tip of fiber optic strands to get it bulb shaped without much success. So I went to a craft store with my wife and found some Czech crystal beads and settled on 8/0 size as a good start. These beads measure about 9" across in HO scale which isn't too bad, especially for outside fixtures. I used Triple Thick to fill in the open end of the bead. For testing, I used shrink tubing to hold, direct, and eliminate side illumination. I would probably paint them if visible. The LED I used is the wrong color, but works for prototype testing.

    Here are various pictures of the result.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    BNSF FAN likes this.

Share This Page