Mar 14, 2019
That’s good news!
Made down and back!!!!!!!
First I did a little organizing and the applied a first coat of paint to some Bradley M8 kits I got recently. Next, I moved over to the layout and began the process of cutting in a creek and bridge.
Always fun to make a mess but the results seem good.
After getting that started, decided to see if this oversized tunnel portal might work. Thoughts anyone?
At this point, the warden..... ummm.…. I mean the wife made me work my way back upstairs so she could go run some errands. Good few hours working on the layout at least.
IMHO...Running tall cars through that tunnel portal doesnt make it look half bad. Better too tall then to short
Got a base coat of paint in the creek bed last night. More progress to come on the 4th I hope.
Tonight, a small patch of greenery has appeared.
I'd look okay I think, but when I look at the e B&O's Carothers Tunnel (and other double track portals), the prototype's look narrower and more naturally proportioned.
I think you’d need a reason for it to be so wide, like a 3rd track, or a maintenance road?
That is a good idea. Could offset it and maybe say there was a 3rd track at one time. Then maybe make a maintenance road with a gate where that track would have been.
Spent more time on the layout on the 4th. A little work on the creek bed. Then installed and hooked up 3 of my 5 new switches,
The new one here is number 4. Those numbers are temporary for now but nice to have.
The two here are numbers 8 and 9. Hadn't put up the number post yet when I took the photo.
Started unpacking some of my buildings as well. Pictures later of those. Hope everyone had a great 4th and will enjoy the weekend!
Saturday morning, the wife decided I was getting around well enough to accompany her out to search for a new dining room set. Not my idea of fun but she found what she wanted and is happy. Even at that, still managed to get some time in on the layout.
Two more turnouts installed but note wired up yet.
Worked on how I think I'd like to arrange the city street.
Decided I have a good spot for this tower but still need to call the landscapers.
And made a little progress on the M8 Greyhounds. Discovered I need to make a trip to get some new super glue though.
We shall see what Sunday holds in store.
The more important question is, is the dining room set large enough for you to put your layout and trains to work on?
LOL, I probably won't be allowed near it. Banished to the kids table in the kitchen most likely.
Sorry but just picked up on your thread but have just read it all the way through. Firstly, I hope the knee improves, I have suffered 3 knee surgeries so know what you are going through.
I wonder if you had considered using the double banked curve packs that Kato do (they come with easement sections) and they do look great when running a train of any length, I swapped over to them on my Japanese layout and love the look, and they are pre-ballasted in the centre
Really like what you have done with the bridge over the river, certainly has given me an idea for when I get round to starting my B&O layout (again!)
I know you have purchased some pre used points/switches/turnouts I wish you well with them, I bought a bunch when I started and I reckon I have replaced everyone of them since. Depending on what has been used to weather them you could use a medium toothbrush with some isopropylalcohol I have also seen off the shelf sticky label remover sprays put to good use. You do seem to have a much wider range of strong household chemicals available to you in the US, our nanny state in the UK has banned all the good stuff I guess you know the issues surrounding #4 points and are avoiding them, they can be fettled into reasonable working order and have the power routing options set by a screw on the under side.
Only real thing to look out for is carbonising track joiners, not sure where you are or how humid it can become in the train room but it is something to keep an eye out for especially if you start to experience reduced running speeds.
Look forward to seeing your project progress and, again, good luck with the knee
Thank you for all the kind words Lawrence. I did consider the elevated curves but in the end, decided to go with the normal ones for now. All my turnouts are the #6. Passed on the #4's as I really wasn't sure I was up to the task of tuning them up to work properly. The bridge and creek project is moving along slowly. Still a bit of a challenge to get up and down the stairs but at least I am able to do it some now. Humidity outside here in the Atlanta area can be quite high but the layout is in a climate controlled basement so no issues with temp or humidity.
Looking great! The double tunnel is bit oversized for me, but never forget Rule Number 1....
Glad to hear the knee is improving, just don't go doing anything daft, just yet! The #4s can be fettled to make them work, Fifer Hobby has a video about it I believe, they are handy for smaller spaces or fiddle yards. Perhaps you could pick up some cheap second hand #4s and practice for the future
Good to know you have your environment under control so with the knee improving we can look forward to lots of progress and pictures now
The M8 Greyhounds are all but done. Still need a coat of flat finish to get rid of the shine from the decals.
A little more progress on the base layer for the creek bed.
Oh those are niiiiice!