Italian Head End Power generator car

minesweeper Apr 22, 2020

  1. minesweeper

    minesweeper TrainBoard Member

    337
    377
    20
    Got a new project while I wait to take heart and finish the wiring for the second module.
    I have a kit for an HEP vehicle that was used by the Italian railways to be used when the diesel motive power had no HEP generator or there was not enough power available to give HEP and at the same time pull the consist.
    Italian diesels were all without HEP except one 2000HP class, as the axle load requirements were for 16 tons, therefore power averaged little more than 1000HP - no MU due to unions - therefore sometimes even the 2000HP D445 needed the extra HEP vehicle.
    Here the vehicle (450 HP generator with conductor and baggage compartment marked nDVrec) where
    n stands for "navetta" (cabled for push and pull)
    D is baggage compartment
    V is heating / generator
    rec is the italian for HEP (riscaldamento elettrico carrozze)
    View attachment 216356
    Lineamodel is the producer of the kit; which is also nice as I got most of the parts twice or three times around; I will anyway use 2 painted and decorated shells I got from ebay in the meantime to save time andalso have the possibility to build one or two more. The kit is what you can expect from a small series producer, not easy and plenty of work to be needed to get the parts together.

    Here some pictures of the WIP.
    One of the shells
    IMG_6655.jpeg
    The truck (a FIAT produced pivotless truck in real life, here with a screw as pivot)
    IMG_6654.jpeg
    And here the interiors, quite a lot of work to be done.
    IMG_6653.jpeg

    Please comment....
     
    traingeekboy, gmorider and BoxcabE50 like this.
  2. minesweeper

    minesweeper TrainBoard Member

    337
    377
    20
    Work is in progress, I had to fight the brilliant idea of the manufacturer to provide the windows cut to measure with the carbody.
    Of course these did not always match and it was really difficult to glue the windows (used white glue that leaves less residues).
    After fighting with the windows, there come the frames.... also here white glue comes handy.
    Anyway did not manage to have a very clean result, had to clean with vinegar, but some stains remain.
    3.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg
    Please comment
     
    gmorider, dalebaker and SLSF Freak like this.
  3. SLSF Freak

    SLSF Freak Staff Member TrainBoard Supporter

    1,084
    358
    36
    minesweeper likes this.
  4. minesweeper

    minesweeper TrainBoard Member

    337
    377
    20
    Mike, You are spot on. It is exactly that model.
    The livery is an example of the incoherence of the FS liveries in that period.
    The livery is the one for regional push and pull trains, but ironically, the sole diesel locomotive in this livery is the D445, which is the only one with HEP: therefore you will never see this car in a consist with the same livery.
    It was mostly used with old green and brown locomotives pulling slate grey coaches.....
    If you see my thread on the colors of italian trains you will see examples with three or more liveries in the same train (maybe also on the same coach type).
    https://www.trainboard.com/highball...talian-railways-regional-motive-power.111062/
    Right here the first picture is a D445 in the same livery (called "navetta", italian for push and pull train)
     
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
  5. gmorider

    gmorider TrainBoard Member

    468
    496
    17
    I feel your window pain (sorry for the pun :rolleyes: ). You have frustrations somewhat common to all here. I think your overall work is excellent. You will appreciate the hard work when you see the equipment in operation. Good luck.
     
  6. minesweeper

    minesweeper TrainBoard Member

    337
    377
    20
    Thank You, I am also using the spares to build another one for my freelance.... got bored from the german cars I got at scrap price.
     
    traingeekboy likes this.
  7. minesweeper

    minesweeper TrainBoard Member

    337
    377
    20
    The FS version is almost ready, but obviously the roof did not match, so i had to rmove all the tabs form the roof and the body, and then fix it IMG_6694.jpeg
    In any case looks like the trucks are rolling and swiweling OK, and the NEM sockets go sideways as they should.
    The freelanced FRA is another story....
    First I had to cover the coupler sockets to avoid them sliding out of place
    IMG_6696.jpeg
    Balsa wood and a dab of white glue (this model has far more white glue than all others I built); for the windows, I followed the example of old Rivarossi coaches with the same two pieces window frame, by painting the frames on the body and trace a line on the acetate to simulate the frame.... not so sophisticated like the originals, but still satisfactory in my opinion if you are not a rivet counter. IMG_6695.jpeg
    Last issue when I tried the roof, no match like the other as expected, but since the body of the FS came from a different source, here the disaster, you can see the central part of the model humping up 1mm above the body top: will have to scrape quite a while with a big file to make it do, hoping not to damage the body.
    Morale for this: the kit is basically failed. I was lucky to have the bodies from the former maker of the kit as these were already painted, but do not know how is it possible to fail the mould this way. IMG_6697.jpeg

    Hope to finish these soon.... still wiring on the layout.
     
    dalebaker and SLSF Freak like this.

Share This Page