In the beginning, there was the doodlebug. Primarily gas-electric, but often run on a rather unreliable, but cheap, fuel called "distillate", the most successful of these came from Brill, the trolley builder, and a little upstart called Electro-Motive. This company tended to buy engines from General Motors subsidiary and former automaker Winton, and carbodies from St. Louis Car. These EMC married together with their own electrical system. These widgets were most often found on branch lines. Many had, in addition to their power systems, only baggage, mail and express facilities. Passenger accomodations were provided in an old wooden coach, generally heated only by a coal stove and lit by kerosene. This nineteenth century-style of accomodation didn't exactly inspire passengers. And those doodlebugs that had seating on board weren't much better. Santa Fe M-190 was in many ways the culmination of these machines. It featured a more substantial Winton V-12 of nine hundred horsepower, four traction motors, and a mail-baggage section articulated to the little box containing the engine and cab. The articulation and a similar Winton distillate-burning V-12 were both features of the Union Pacific M-10,000 introduced two years later, though the UP quickly replaced the spark engine with a diesel. But there were two companies who were interested in making the doodlebug more appealing. With travel down during the Depression, and the new national highway system and the newer airlines competing for travelers' attention, it was high time. The prospect of reducing costs and increasing the appeal of certain modest mainline trains between medium size cities was an idea whose time had clearly come. The mighty Pullman-Standard began experimenting with aluminum construction. The UP would be credited with the first streamliner, and the Burlington with the first diesel streamliner, in 1934. But in 1933, an important intermediate step was taken by the Texas and Pacific. Budd was the other company that had been thinking hard about this sort of service. It was also the company that noticed that the most economical and reliable sort of internal combustion engine in railroad service was the diesel. But the big, thumping Ingersoll-Rand prime movers used in Alco-GE's pioneering boxcabs of the 1925-1928 period didn't particularly impress them. So, they went looking for diesels overseas. While there, they were accosted by a representative of Michelin, which thought they had developed a rubber--and pneumatic!--tire that could hold to a rail. Budd came back to the U.S. and discovered the Cummins diesel. They also, unfortunately, came back sold on these tires. A trio of railbus-like cars followed, two for the Pennsylvania and one for the Reading. The tires were license-built by Goodyear. The Reading gave up quickly on keeping theirs on the rail, but the Pennsy stubbornly kept at it until 1943, when they gave the Washington and Old Dominion a turn. More interesting was a two-car trainset built for the Texas and Pacific. Built of stainless using Budd's new shotwelding process, some effort was put into making it look appealing. Oddly, the passenger-carrying trailer didn't take advantage of the smoothness presumably provided by the rubber tires. The power car made up for that, for a short while, with no less than sixteen of them trying to handle its prodigious weight. These were soon replaced with eight steel rollers. Another change was a pair of gas-fueled American-LaFrance fire truck engines. These weren't so well suited to the service, and after new trucks were installed, the power car was short enough on traction that the trainset earned the sobriquet Silver Slipper. The fancy doodlebug didn't last long. But the Burlington certainly benefited from the T&P's experiment.