Heart Problems Suck !!

mtntrainman Sep 21, 2012

  1. mtntrainman

    mtntrainman TrainBoard Supporter

    So there I was Tuesday afternoon. Minding my own bussiness. Was working on THE Lucky Penny Yard. Was also 'fitting' the bridge abutements on the 3 bridges. As always I take a break now and then and come in here...read some posts. I had just replied on a thread when W H A M !!!

    The pain was excruciating ! I thought I had turned wrong and popped a rib. It just felt different ! I woke THE Wife up from her nap to find out where our bottle of nitro pills where.

    Long story short....an ambulance ride and 27 hours in the hospital.

    I just got released tronight !

    They did an Ultra Sound my swollen right leg.....no clots........Whew!!
    Today they gave me my least favorite thing in the world...a nuclear stress test! Findings....inconclusive!

    Have to make appointments with my family doctor and the Cardiologists tomorrow.

    Anyways...we are driving home and THE WIFE says ( half laughing) "I bet you go right in and catch up on TrainBoard...since ya left the browser window open."

    Ok...she was half right. I had to go out and make sure I had turned THE RV off Tuesday first :p

    Although...I did run 2 trains once around....just so I could smile ! :) :) :)

    THEN I came in here and am catching up on TB :)

    Its good therapy to be back home and amoungst friend :)

    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2012
  2. BoxcabE50

    BoxcabE50 HOn30 & N Scales Staff Member TrainBoard Supporter

    Inconclusive? Modern medicine.... :(

    Anyhow, glad you're back home, with us and at the hobby again!
  3. mtntrainman

    mtntrainman TrainBoard Supporter

    Yea..."INconclusive"....go figure. My implanted defibrillator never went off....hmmmmm. The defibrillator is working...just had it 'checked' last week. They found no blockage. They want me to schedule a cardio-cath for sometime next week....just to be sure. Last one got received a "Your arteries are clean as a whistle!"

    This is "Small Town Arizona" medicine after all ;-)

    But like ya say...its good to be back home and back at the hobby ! :) :) :)
  4. r_i_straw

    r_i_straw Mostly N Scale Staff Member

    A little over a year ago I had a "a nuclear stress test! Findings....inconclusive!" So on to the cardio-cath and my arteries were NOT clean as a whistle. As I had not had any symptoms at all and the blockages were in the worst possible locations (stents would not work) I had to have bypass surgery. Yuck, that was no fun. Yeah getting old ain't no fun. But it is better than the alternative. Hang in there.
  5. paperkite

    paperkite TrainBoard Member

    Been there done that got the stents and pacemaker. Glad you are doing good - out of 1.4 million heart events each year , only 40% make it the first year , I had my first attack on fathers day turning 53. that was 10 years ago . I give thanks to the Lord every day that I am still here with my family , friends and TB gang ....and I get to enjoy the life He has set aside for me. Russell , the glass is half full ... not half empty ;)
  6. RhB_HJ

    RhB_HJ TrainBoard Member

    Better get used to it!

    BTW I had an aortic heart valve replacement April 2011, after complaining to my (now ex) family doctor, who gave me the usual BS about "getting old" "not being 40 anymore" etc. etc. for three years running. Count yourself lucky that you get all the tests! My problem was only diagnosed after I finally insisted on a stress test on the treadmill. All other test showed as normal including ECGs

    DUH and it was a nurse in the hospital who discovered my heart murmur, I couldn't believe it. So she handed me the stethoscope and sure enough, plain as anything.
    After my life long experiences with doctors, in more than just Canada, I try to keep as healthy as could be and stay as far from doctors as possible whenever possible.

    Good Luck!

    PS there was one super positive result: while doing the angiogram the doctor said "I don't believe it" which gave me a start since it could go either way, as it is my arteries are as clean as a whistle, my cholesterol levels have always been near perfect. Soooo other than being train crazy I'm in very good shape.

    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2012
  7. Carl Sowell

    Carl Sowell TrainBoard Supporter


    I'm happy to hear you are at home and doing better. Just take it slow and easy.

    You mention "small town Arizona" medicine. In 2005, on the way to San Diego convention, I had a "heart attack" in Willcox. The local medical center could not decide if it was a heart attack or not. So I ended up in the Tucson Heart Hospital. They attempted, several times, a balloon job that would not work. I was released and sent home to El Paso to see my cardiologist. Nothing was ever done. He told me the coronary arteries would regenerate and attach to muscle, I guess they did as I'm still kicking.

    Take it from one who has experienced 2 heart attacks, a stent implant, and a stroke while the stent was being inserted - things can get better.

    Glad your home with a chance to recover and again take it easy.

  8. nscalerone

    nscalerone TrainBoard Member

    I can certainly relate............I've got "asbestosis", and the issues with my lungs cause, (or excite), problems with my heart. I've been through about half a dozen "stress tests", and etc...........always inconclusive(??)
    I think having to hassle with the damn "VA" does more harm to my health than anything else!!
    Anyway.............My Best Wishes, hope you get it all ironed out, and have some good years left for the "RV".
  9. Seated Viper

    Seated Viper TrainBoard Member

    George, it's good to know you are considered well enough to indulge in some therapy, rather than sitting in a hospital bed. I was off sick for several weeks about 15 years ago with depression, and made myself drive about 80 miles a day. Friends were incredulous. My answer was that the concentration on the job in hand pushed the depression to the background.

    Paul, the glass is neither half full nor half empty. As an engineer, I have to tell you it's twice the size it needs to be!


    Pete Davies
  10. subwayaz

    subwayaz TrainBoard Member

    Glad your home with a chance for recovery. Best wishes for that speedy recovery, and see you around the forums
  11. paperkite

    paperkite TrainBoard Member

    Being a Senior Journeyman Machinist (Marine), would that make it half full or half empty ???? :)
  12. BarstowRick

    BarstowRick TrainBoard Supporter

    :sad:Welcome to the realities of a Cardio Patient. Today's medicine is by far superior to what we had 30 years ago. You can always ask about the enzymes, whether or not they are up. If they are it's likely you are having some sort of Cardio-Vascular distress.

    Sometimes the word inconclusive, as in not to worry, is used as a pshychological ploy to drop the patients stress level. They tried that on me. However, after years of assissting pathologist with autopsies you'd have a tough time fooling me. You don't do that kind of work without absorbing some intelligence about the cause and effect Ie., pathologies of various diseases and most often cardio dysfunction. When I went into the hospital I looked at my cardiologist and suggested we get this right, I don't want to wait until after the autopsy to find out what's wrong. Grins all around and a knowing head nod. Although, I'ma sure he really meant for that to be a head butt. I'd rather know precisely what they are talking about.

    As you may have already gathered, I'm a member of the Cardio Clan. I threw a blood clot from a injury to my leg and it took a week in the hospital and several expensive treatments to melt it down only partially. The residue moved down the RCA artery causing further disruptions, damage and scaring. Not a lot of fun from my vantage point. You can play with all kinds of diagnosing tools but an Angio-gram (not a telegram) is the most reliable method of seeing a blot clot.

    Glad to hear you are doing ok. Follow-up, follow-up and do it again. The best to you.
  13. mtntrainman

    mtntrainman TrainBoard Supporter

    Yuppers all...

    I had a discusion with the cardiologist. About my lifestyle. Now and in the past. Once I became disabled (8 years agao ) with the arthritis in both knees and both hips...I became sedentary. More sitting then moving around. Not good he says. He suggests a better desk chair. Gonna go 'shopping' today.

    One thing for sure....with THE RV being out back...I do more walking and standing then in the past. Just sitting around is B A D . So I blame it all on TrainBoard....LOL JUST KIDDING !!

    Get you a good desk chair if you must sit for long periods of time. Whether working in an office or just sitting at a desk at home. Funny how one piece of equipment can screw us up really bad. I've had the same chair for 10+ years !!!

    I do excersize. I have a recumbent bike...and do 2 miles a day. No outside riding....to hard on the knees. Also have an AB Lounger for that "Old Man Gut" we all seem to get. Doctor says "All things in moderation."

    Oh yea...almost forgot...

    I gotta quit smoking !!!!!!!! ^$(*&^%*^%#$%*#^%$###&%(*$^#
  14. RhB_HJ

    RhB_HJ TrainBoard Member


    Exercise helps and it's never too late, but when you start late make sure you start gradually.
    My ex-Doc finally listened up when I told him that one doesn't go from 1000km of XC-skiing a winter down to zero (all in four years). And if one has been running everything from 10k races to marathons and doing triathlons, it is curious that one would be out of breath (never any chest pains) when walking up a silly hill.
    IMO "GP" stands for "Generally a Pill" rather than General Practitioner. Between looking at that ^%$*& computer display in front of them, instead of at the patient, along with obviously not hearing what the patient tells them, it is a fine affair. When in doubt ask for a referral and make sure it is termed "urgent".

    Of course this is, as always, strictly my opinion, based on dire experience!
  15. mtntrainman

    mtntrainman TrainBoard Supporter

    Yup....time for a lifestyle change !!!


    For now...its time to go out and


  16. BoxcabE50

    BoxcabE50 HOn30 & N Scales Staff Member TrainBoard Supporter

    Yep. Just like my physicians these days. So busy working with the laptop, they don't hear a word I've said. Then they ask you the question just answered and.... Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!! If I slammed the lid down on their fingers, maybe they'd get an idea.
  17. Jerry M. LaBoda

    Jerry M. LaBoda TrainBoard Supporter

    Glad to know that you are home... you likely already know this considering what you already have been through but do try to take it easy. The widow maker I had a year ago last February left me disabled and in some ways the way my life now is sucks, but I am alive. Hate all the meds but have to keep reminding myself that they are necessary... none of the "good stuff" as some would say but they must not be too bad either if they keep me kicking. I do hope that you will be able to get back up to speed soon!!!
  18. termite

    termite TrainBoard Member

    Shortly before my 49th birthday, i started having chest pains. Straight to the ER I went, EKG found "some strange readings" but no sign of a heart attack. Went through the Nuclear stress test, MRI and Ultra sound on my heart, All came up negative, except for an enlarged Ventricle. After all the tests were done & back, the doctors figures out that the Diuretic I was taking along with my BP med was too strong, making my heart work too hard to pump the thickened blood. Now a year later, my BP & cholesterol are great & the weight, although still a little high, is coming down. I still miss my bacon & country ham at breakfast though.

  19. Pete Nolan

    Pete Nolan TrainBoard Supporter


    With care, these episodes usually resolve themselves favorably. The "nuclear test" shows pretty clearly if there was any serious damage, as does the heart enzyme test; inconclusive means the radiologists didn't see damage, and the test was probably borderline--but perhaps signs that it might happen again. Twenty-five years ago, I spent two weeks in a hospital, and two months at home after I collapsed during the fifth set of a tennis club championship match, due to a fluke electrical fault in my heart. But there was no lasting damage. I was in pain for about a month, but today there are no signs of that episode. The technology to fix that electrical fault came about a decade later, and was used when I had a second attack.

    Sometimes, though, I wonder: had you just had a cigarette when this came about? I had a boss die when, having chest pains, he decided to have a cigarette to calm himself. Ok, this was 1973, but ----

    Best wishes for a smooth return to a worry-free future!
  20. John Moore

    John Moore TrainBoard Supporter

    Hang in there as I am no stranger to all this. About 15 years ago during a required annual physical, which included a required stress test, they found what was termed a sagging T wave. Now over the many years of being run hard and put away wet I had a lot of sagging parts so one more no big deal. However they did require that I go through all the hoopla of tests including a stress thalium and an echogram. Turned out to be nothing. So back to full duties. Now I just have the getting old things that make life a little more difficult and require some adjustments like loosing some of the weight that I found somewhere and managing diabetes and blood pressure by diet.

Share This Page