GN 4-6-2 H4 Build

CNE1899 May 29, 2022

  1. CNE1899

    CNE1899 TrainBoard Member

    624
    816
    19
    Thanks Mr. Ray!;)
    Scott
     
  2. Kurt Moose

    Kurt Moose TrainBoard Member

    7,975
    8,214
    125
    Isn't there a way to darken the actual metal wheels as well? Back in the 80's, I think I used some product for getting rid of the "Shiny" metal.
     
  3. Hytec

    Hytec TrainBoard Member

    13,573
    5,098
    183
    Or use a stiff bristle toothbrush. Small paint brushes normally have softer bristles than toothbrushes.
     
    Kurt Moose, CNE1899 and rray like this.
  4. CNE1899

    CNE1899 TrainBoard Member

    624
    816
    19
    Wow, June 28th was the last post. Time slips by.
    Well Covid recovery has allowed me some time to work on this again.
    I worked on the smokebox extension.
    I cut a ring from brass tube, tapered a second smaller tube to fit into the smokebox and inside the ring.
    Soldered the two together (rusty soldering skills), and cleaned up the result.
    This will be epoxied into the smokebox.
    To solder the ring onto the tube at the right depth, I modified my trusty piece of wood, by cutting a slot,
    added some Sure tape, and used a paper clip to hold the tube.

    Scott IMG_3463.JPG IMG_3464.JPG IMG_3465.JPG IMG_3466.JPG IMG_3468.JPG
     
    rray, mdvholland, bostonjim and 2 others like this.
  5. JoeS

    JoeS TrainBoard Member

    2,944
    676
    52
    Your creative solutions really are impressive! Now to see this pieced together!
     
    Kurt Moose and CNE1899 like this.
  6. HemiAdda2d

    HemiAdda2d Staff Member TrainBoard Supporter

    20,627
    18,756
    253
    Your homebrew jig is ingenious!
     
  7. bostonjim

    bostonjim TrainBoard Member

    790
    965
    24
    That caught my eye, too. Whatever works. Very clever. Jim
     
    CNE1899 likes this.
  8. CNE1899

    CNE1899 TrainBoard Member

    624
    816
    19
    Joe,Hemi, and Jim,
    Thanks for the positive comments!
    Put in some productive bits of time in these last two evenings.
    I didn't like how the patches turned out on the cab, so I redid them.
    I shaped the cab roof edges using round nose pliers to fit the cab better.
    I wanted to securely attach the domes and bases, so I drilled holes to pin them with.
    You can see the .043 brass rod sticking up thru the boiler.
    Massaged the fit of the smokebox cover to fit the smokebox extension.
    The boiler needed some more details removed, so I filed them off and sanded it smooth.
    Next step is to fill holes and drill stanchion holes.

    Scott IMG_3479.JPG IMG_3486.JPG
     
  9. JoeS

    JoeS TrainBoard Member

    2,944
    676
    52
    Without even seeing it attached cab does look better!
     
    CNE1899 likes this.
  10. CNE1899

    CNE1899 TrainBoard Member

    624
    816
    19
    Squeezed in some more time.
    I did a bunch of drilling with an .040 bit.
    Drilled the centers of the domes, drilled holes in the Belpaire boiler and running board patches, for a better bond with epoxy.
    Drilled the .078 hole for the whistle and valve on the Belpaire boiler,
    Cut out a rectangle from .040 thick aluminum, and CA'd it to the roof, to create a hatch.
    Filled in holes on the boiler, running boards, and smokebox, with JB Weld.

    Scott
    IMG_3490.JPG IMG_3492.JPG IMG_3488.JPG
     

Share This Page