Mar 17, 2013
Love the patina of the b/w photos.
If your camera has the setting, try sepia.
Ooooo. Fun idea!
Most photo programs have that setting in the program so it is fairly easy to do.
Here is the same photo posted earlier in color now in B&W converted by my photo program.
000_0165--101 by John Moore posted Apr 5, 2018 at 12:30 PM
And converted to sepia tone.
-2 by John Moore posted Apr 5, 2018 at 12:36 PM
Haven't got a sepia setting on the camera. Will dink around and see what I can do with the puter. But, yesterday was a fun with scenery and trains day. Added some rocks, ground cover and slide piles to the area you see in the pics. Relaxing! Did some b&w and color comparison shots.
Am really liking this scenery. The rock work is top notch.
Thanks! Some of the rocks are real ones reset into the scenery. Others are carved into the wet mud. Fun!
Rock molds (such as those from Woodland Scenics) are fun to use as well. I used them heavily on my layout.
Have never tried them, yet. I do have some rocks that I plan to make molds on, one day!
I like to use plaster on roughed up insulation foam. After applying the plaster with a brush, I carve out the rocks.
Also, I like to use rubber molds for larger areas.
One more thing, try putting base color tint in your plaster as you mix, use the lightest color that you want the rocks to be. When the plaster has set up add darker colors to the crevices and cracks. Finally use a dry brush with a sandy white color and lightly apply to the top of rocks.
Would color the stuff, but I use premixed sheetrock plaster. Final topcoat stuff. Here's some progress from the weekend work on the little drywash.
First phase, rocks and gravel,
More new mud, working on hiding that duck away to staging.
Bridge back in, looking mostly done. Still details to add, but looking better.
And some base foam added.
Didn't get too much time on the RR this weekend. Sat got spent moving a trailer house, final sanding some sheetrock, installing an exterior door and a grandkids birthday gig! Then Sun was spent fixing some electrical issues on the pickup and clearing out winters debris! Then the wife's car needed a littl TLC, and then on to the RR! Yay! So in there I did some of the scenery above the not too hidden staging yard.
Looks good. You're a brave man--doing construction over the trains like that. I inevitably drop something and an expensive coach or locomotive makes the 1000-scale foot drop...
Don't know about that! Either brave, too lazy to move them or stoopid!
I got off the lazy train last night and relocated all the trains in the staging area, and discovered this casualty of my laziness.
So these two trains got parked along the mainline,
Here you can see the empty yard and the support for the scenery above it.
However, while relocating the 4292 and it's train, she was struggling to get up the hill and stringlined her train! The cause of this was a single wheel derailed on the car off screen to the left.
After picking those cars out of the way, I tried to back the rest down the hill, and she laid down on me!
Upon closer inspection after rerailing her, it appears that the pilot truck is lifting the drivers off the rail. More investigation is required, but something ain't right here. This is a very generous 20 inch corner!
While not N scale, these are cool! I found these yesterday at an antique and what-not store here.
And track got cleaned, bridge reinstalled and trains run!! Yay!!
Reposition the camera, and the lighting changes, neat.
And one of the videos is available!
And the tech gremlins allowed me to finish publishing this one, too!
Now all that's left here is ballast, fences, trees, bushes, static grass, details, details, details.......