With the module base finished it was time to think about the legs. The original City Job employed simple 2 x 2-inch square legs that were 54-inches long with a 1/4-inch thick plywood cross members, top and bottom that made the two end legs a unit, essentially looking like the letter H. Those legs were attached by inserting 1/4 bolts into the legs and subsequently into the module base into some previously installed T-nuts. This process had many down falls. For one, the legs did warp after some time and it wasn’t uncommon to cross thread a bolt into one of the T-Nuts, causing loose legs and a multitude of re-work. Not only were those problems a constant threat, since the legs were separate in transport, needed space was taken up in the vehicle, extra trips to the vehicle to the show and even forgetting the very bolts to secure the legs had happened at one time. For this variation, I wanted the legs and modules to be one unit. The new legs would not only be made of lightweight Baltic Birch plywood, but they would fold into the module itself for transport, thereby gaining valuable transport space and the risk of leaving hardware behind a thing of the past. The layout height would suffer a bit with a rail to floor distance of 50-inches versus the previous incarnation of 54-inches. I concluded however that the advantages far out weighed the disadvantages and I could easily attach a 4-inch “booster” to the legs to adjust to Bill’s already finished modules. With both 3/4-inch and 1/4-inch ply left over, I started in on working on the next design of the modules. After a few nights of experimentation I concluded on a staggered leg design that would easily allow both sets of legs to fold up into the modules and be flush with the module bottom, much like the retractable landing gear on an aircraft. I then set the table saw up and cut the following Plywood strips. 3-inch wide (3/4-inch sheet) 2-inch wide (1/4-inch sheet X 4) 1.25-inch wide (3/4-inch sheet X 4) The 3-inch wide 3/4-inch piece was then cut into four pieces that will end up as the leg mounts. The leg mounts are 5.75 inches tall and 3-inches wide. Next I cut the parts that would be the legs, the 2-inch wide 1/4-inch strip was cut to a length of 42 inches and the 1.25-inch strip cut down to 45.5 inches long. Lastly, I cut from the scrap 3/4-inch ply, four squares, and each 1.75 x 1.25-inch square. Next I set up my drill press and measured the leg mounts so it would receive a 1/4-inch hole exactly 2 inches down from the bottom and 1.5-inch from either side. Two of these leg mount blocks would also receive a 1-inch boring countersink to later accept a T-Nut. All four of the 3/4-inch leg stock also received 1-inch hole centered 1-inch from the top and centered within either side. Also, two of these legs received a 1-inch boring countersink of only a 1/8-inch. Finally, all four blocks of 2 x 2-inch plywood received a 1-inch hole exactly centered and a T-Nut was firmly inserted into each one. With everything cut and drilled properly, it was time for assembly. The 2-inch wide plywood was then glued to the edge of the 3/4-inch leg stock with the bottom being flush and the shorter stock falling short of the leg mount. This was all glued together using many clamps as I choose not to use screws here. Be sure to make a left and right leg! Next I glued the small 1.75 x 1.25-inch blocks flush with the end and clamped securely. These will be the leveling feet. While these items were drying, I carefully placed the leg mounts inside the module. Two of the mounts will be flush with the inside of the sideboard. I used the countersunk versions here and pressed a T-nut into each one. With the T-Nut hardware facing the inside of the sideboard, I carefully made sure the upper portion of the leg mounts was flush with the top of the module. I then clamped the mounts to the module and drilled two pilot holes from the end panel into the mount, 1-inch below the top and 1-inch above the bottom. The leg mounts are secured with #8 3-inch wood screws. The next two leg mounts are mounted the same way except there is no T-Nut and the leg mounts are centered at exactly 3 inches away from the sideboard. They need to be staggered like this so the legs will fold up into the module.