May 24, 2020
Just adding a picture so you can see the mechanism better.
While I've been forced to work from home due to a full lockdown, the upside is that I have been able to find out why the mechanism isn't running smoothly. It looks like I have some cracked gears, I'll get replacements from shapeways and see if that improves things. I have cut the 2 boiler weights and I still need to attach the pilot mount / cylinder mount more securely - yeah I snapped it off again. I've had to improvise with the weight mounting, the little nub was worn off so I've glued a brass rod in the mechanism and drilled a hole where the nub was. That should mount it securely. I also need to adjust the front mounting for the metal contact plates - the front ones stop the first set of drivers turning. Once the mechanism is running how I want it I'll finish off the shell.
Lockdown has its plus side. We've beaten Covid before, we can do it again. 170 days without any community cases will happen again. Keep safe up there in the Capital.
Thanks Steve, will do and you keep safe down there.
Well wouldn't this rip your ration book, The Chinese made Mabuchi Motors I bought are the same motors that Bachmann used on some of its White Box 4-8-4s. The original motor started performing badly (started slowing down dramatically) so I have removed it, I will transfer the small contacts over to the new motor and see how it performs. Hopefully the new motor will be better as it is made with todays materials and manufacturing techniques or it could just be like the original
The motor with the worm on it is the new one, the one on the bottom of the photo is the one I removed from the mechanism and came with the 4-8-4
If the new motor doesn't cut it and it looks like it might not, here's my backup motor - it's a bit bigger!
Lock down is not nice. I've had Covid-19 twice before being able to get vaccinated.
Some keep referring it as Coronavirus. I've had that since 1971. It flairs up almost every year.
I've cur down the weight from 2 4-8-4's, I need to trim back the front piece some more. I've had to file the sides of the weight slightly to fit the shell better. I've placed the shell on the mechanism to see how it looks. It needs to be moved forward a bit but I have to shave some of the styrene blocks I made at the rear- that the cab sits on. But it's the first time I've placed the shell on it for a long time.- I hurriedly placed it on the track so the front is sitting up off the track.
Did some more fettling - it's getting a bit better
Showing the other side, I might have to take some metal off the weight to lower it slightly. I'm currently making a new mount for the rear truck, sliding it back 1 scale foot. I'm also getting ready to mount the front cylinders when I remember how they fit and the front truck.
Rear truck fitted, front truck fitted and pilot - might have to readjust the pilot. I need to reduce the height of the boiler weight, it makes the shell sit too high. Picture is without the boiler weight.
We will leave loco #1 for the meantime and progress onto 2-10-4 loco #2 based on the current Bachmann 4-8-4 Northern. A few months ago I got a current version fairly cheaply, I already have a brand new one bought years ago. So I will cut up both mechanisms and join them together. I will be reserving the new shell and pilot to go on a Kato FEF-3 mechanism but that will be much later. I have all new drivers and will see how this comes together. I have already got an extended shell based on brand new Northern shells. I also have a wide range of 12V DC motors with more on the way.
The cutting has begun.....
I've now joined the 4 pieces into 2 sides of the new mechanism. I've had to split and re-glue one side - it was a bit wonky.
This is the wonky bit
This next picture shows the 2 sides gluing on its jig (yes it's modelling clay - too many things sticking out!)
You can see I had a senior moment and cut one too short - fixing that - restoring electrical conductivity to it as well
I've just assembled the mechanism - dummied it up. I need to trim the front part of the mechanism - it's a bit long eh! Please excuse the wonky cylinders they aren't secured to the mechanism.
That'd be just the ticket for heading up a double-stack container train!
I've shortened the front but not quite enough, I need to trim about 3mm off the front still. Still sitting too high but not as bad.
Did a lot of filing on the mechanism, shortened it a bit and enlarged a recess so that the shell now sits better. I need to start working on the shell. I also need to add the powertrain components to see how or if it runs.
I've had to stop going any further pending parts from Bachmann USA. My order won't be arriving until after the USPS delivery suspension to NZ is lifted. I expect about a month or two's delay.