May 24, 2020
You know I will.
Stay safe and healthy down under.
So before modifying the white box mechanisms I decided to do a test to see if the motors were any good. The one with the damaged shell (also a white box) had the expected Bachmann motor and that was rejected. I know not to mess with this one. However upon looking at the other one I found something is up!!! A previous owner has decided that the Bachmann engine had to go and replaced it with something better - looks like an atlas / lifelike style. This s certainly better than the other one!!!! will need to improve the contacts for power to the mechanism but should give a nice performance. A nice quiet engine - I got the growls under control by a small amount of lubrication - no split gears!!! This is candidate 1. I might be able to put a flywheel on it. The motor with the two shafts is the non Bachmann one. The single shaft one is one that Bachmann has used a lot in their trainset models over the years.
Two pictures added showing a very stripped down 4-8-4 - this will donate parts to the other mechanism. The picture showing a more or less intact 4-8-4 mechanism is the main mechanism that will be used - this is for testing. If the contact issues can't be resolved then it will be a custom brass chassis. The test for this is that it needs to get near Kato performance and reliability.
This afternoon (NZ Time) I joined the two mechanisms together and got this. This is just a test....
I need to leave it 24 hours to harden properly before adding the drivers and motor for a test run. I also need to sort the electrical contacts out. This should be interesting.
This is just a test fit without the contact plate installed. Mainly a stress test to see if the stretched mechanism would break. I've added some reinforcing brass to the joint to give it some strength. (It did snap without it). The gap between wheelsets 2 and 3 might be a little too close. So here is a 0-10-0 for your viewing pleasure!
I like it, I like it, I want some more of it.
Not sure what I'm seeing there does the second driver back from the left. Does it overhang the third driver?
yes slightly, I could trim down the flanges a little on drivers 2 and3 to make room or blind driver 3. Also remember I don't have the contact plate on which helps to locate the drivers on the side you are seeing.
The contact plates will be the next thing I alter, need to cut them and solder them together or make a new one from brass sheet then mount them to the mechanism. These should help align the drivers better. The drivers are currently way out of quarter, I just pressed them together for testing
Yes, the holes in the contact plate are much closer to the axle diameter, right?
I see what you are doing. Go for it. I can't wait to see the finished project.
Just take your time and do it right, whatever you perceive that to be.
I've uploaded a picture of the contact plate so you can get an idea. The plate goes on both sides of the plastic mechanism to provide electrical contact with the drivers. It also acts to keep the gears in place and aligned. At the moment the drivers are free to move about.
Yes Doug they are.
Will have to reduce the flanges on drivers 2 and 3 by around 0.25mm. I have made the first join on both whitebox shells. Lots more to do, I will be cutting off part of the front and putting the better part on - all part of the process.
I've done my final extension of the shell, I did break a ladder so I need to fix that. I have shortened the mechanism at the front, it should be close but I may need to adjust it some more. Lots of putty now needed and I need to add detaiil parts. Focus is now back on the mechanism,
he first picture is of the extended shell, the second was it's interim length and you'll notice a strangely modified 4-8-4
So just testing, I have attached the shell to the mechanism for a test fit. The rear truck fits properly, now the front truck..... not so happy. It's off a Spectrum EM-1 2-8-8-4 - it's a bit small!!!!! I might keep the truck frame and transfer a 4-8-4 front truck axle and wheels to give it more presence. I might have to adjust the length of the front truck. I suspect I'll need to mess with it a fair bit until I'm happy. At the moment it's configuration is a 2-0-4
Please excuse the poor photo quality - cell phone.
Thought I ought to check in to see how you are doing.
Looks like the 2-10-4 Texas Type is shaping up.
Thanks for the updates. Looking good.
Thanks Rick, still a ways to go!!
Your welcome. You'll manage it.
2-10-4 Locomotive number 2 using new Bachmann shells and will use the newer split frame mechanism. You'll notice that it is not glued together yet. I'll get there this evening (NZ time).
Loco 2 shelll first join is now glued, will have to leave it for 2 days to harden properly then the final cut and join can take place.