Paper Windmill Kit

bostonjim Mar 13, 2018

  1. bostonjim

    bostonjim TrainBoard Member

    118
    161
    8
    This is my completed and detailed Archistories windmill kit. Though it is European it resembles the colonial era windmills on Cape Cod. It really is hard to tell what material it is made from. There is no weathering on this model. This is how it looks when it is completed. I painted the inside of the doors a contrasting color and propped them open. I added my own paper decals from office copier reductions from a photo. This kit comes w/ a motor and 2 resistors. Be sure to solder the resistors before you test the motor. It will go "Poof" if you don't. That is what happened to mine. Test it before the roof is put on or you'll never get inside once it is glued. The resistors are to bring the rpm's to prototypical speed. I thought I'd see it moving at mach speed w/out them. They need them. I did not plan a Cape Code countryside scene in my layout but I couldn't resist building this kit. They offer 2 styles of control towers. Both look US style. Jim
     

    Attached Files:

  2. z.scale.hobo

    z.scale.hobo TrainBoard Member

    141
    71
    8
    Archistories has 3 control towers ...
    Torrnstein 107111 Wood over brick
    Doerpede 101161 Brick on brick
    Kallental 102161 Half-timbered over brick

    The description is "upper level" / "lower level."
     
    bostonjim likes this.
  3. southernnscale

    southernnscale TrainBoard Supporter

    269
    403
    13
    Great Job! colors are good and stand out!
     
  4. Rocket Jones

    Rocket Jones TrainBoard Member

    783
    546
    17
    Wow! Beautiful.
     
  5. bostonjim

    bostonjim TrainBoard Member

    118
    161
    8
    Thanks., Rocket. This kit was not hard to build. The fit of each part was perfect. The instructions are clearly written/diagrammed. Besides paint and some cosmetic additions this is how the kit looks when it is completed. No need to weather or paint. I think it compares to other materials. Take care, Jim
     
  6. zdrada69

    zdrada69 TrainBoard Member

    461
    879
    15
    I fully agree that this is very good kit to built. I did it myself some time ago. My addition was some weathering using Artitec powders.
    Jim did you installed the engine ?

    IMG_4696.JPG



    IMG_4698.JPG
     
  7. bostonjim

    bostonjim TrainBoard Member

    118
    161
    8
    Hi, Pawel. That looks great. More rustic looking than mine. The chalk is subtle but effective. Good job! Yes, I did put the motor in without soldering on the resistors first. I thought it would rotate at an unrealistic speed. Nope. It went up in smoke. The instructions didn't make it clear the resistors needed to be attached first. Live and learn. I guess if I knew more about the wiring/electronics the obvious thing would not have happened. I model urban Boston railroading, specifically the NHRR, I don't know how I'm going to find a spot for my windmill. I just had to build it when I saw it. I just received some paper brick sheets from Archistories. I can see a lot of use for them. Take care, Jim
     
  8. zdrada69

    zdrada69 TrainBoard Member

    461
    879
    15
    That is true that this model can attract by itself - without particular place on the layout in mind. I bought mine two years ago at Altenbeken. Few weeks ago I found the idea how to use. I hope I will be able to show it on one of my modules in not far future...
     
  9. z.scale.hobo

    z.scale.hobo TrainBoard Member

    141
    71
    8
    I mentioned this blowing of the motor to Mr. Archistories. He said, "If you run the drive with the power mentioned in the manual it shouldn't blow up."

    If there's a specific portion of the instruction that is not clear, let me know.
     
  10. bostonjim

    bostonjim TrainBoard Member

    118
    161
    8
    Hi, Pawel
    I got mine shortly after it came out. It is my second Archistories kit. I had already completed the "Sanders" water tower kit. It looks very US. I may add one of their switch towers. I can't wait to see what you do with your windmill. You are far more advanced than me. Take care, Jim
     
  11. bostonjim

    bostonjim TrainBoard Member

    118
    161
    8
    Hi, Frank
    The first mistake I made was not testing the motor before it was sealed into the roof. When I tested the motor I did not attach the resistors (there are 2 ) I hooked it up to a Marklin transformer's accessory port. It made half revolution than a puff of smoke. That was it. It certainly isn't a deal-breaker if the motor doesn't work; I like the kit as a static one just as much. Take care, Jim
     
    z.scale.hobo likes this.

Share This Page