Mar 1, 2016
Ah, well that makes more sense due to what happened, but now... Hmmm.
Great to see much more interest and activity this month !
Been working on my gons. Made up a fixture shown below to hold truck side frames for air brushing while protecting the areas I didn't want painted. Use Testors acyrllic rail brown on these and on the metal under frames one of which is seen in the background. Also got the first spray of Dull Coat on the car bodies.
I was able to get the warp (most, anyway) out of the roof walk on that hopper. Learning that it was laser cut wood, I used a warm heavy flat metal rod (actually, the handle of a dental tool) up against the wood, and then, with fine tweezers, kept pushing the walk, from underneath, up against the metal. After about 10 minutes on each side, worked well.
Then took a few snaps of these 4 cars around the layout
In the hills (out of town)
And, in the yard
Glad to know these roof walks are laser etched wood. Would never have thought that. It looks like you've saved yours, looks much better now.
The walks look much better. Hard to believe at times what kind of detail you can put in wood now with a laser.
Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I'm working on 3 Southdown Cement hoppers.
20160320_132429 by Adam Henry, on Flickr
20160320_185356 by Adam Henry, on Flickr
That's a nifty set up. Standard cork strips? Looks like a very useful thing to add to the toolbox!
Alright then, I guess I'll throw in my lot for today. A single Sante Fe autorack (N scale).
0320161711 by rtobys posted Mar 20, 2016 at 7:48 PM
0320161932 by rtobys posted Mar 20, 2016 at 7:48 PM
0320161932a by rtobys posted Mar 20, 2016 at 7:48 PM
0320161933 by rtobys posted Mar 20, 2016 at 7:48 PM
0320161933a by rtobys posted Mar 20, 2016 at 7:48 PM
0320161933b by rtobys posted Mar 20, 2016 at 7:48 PM
No cork, actually the jig that holds the trucks for air brushing was made from a strip of 1/4 inch plywood. Notches were filed across the top for the cross parts of the trucks to fit into. The part laying on the top is a strip of white styrene. I think the over spray of rail brown makes the hole thing look like cork.
Now THAT is some cool graffiti...promoting the right thing! The weathering is very realistic too. If you need one more autorack to weather, let me know
Thanks Ryan. Big and bold. Just a quick job on a rainy evening. I'm really looking forward to seeing the boys finished product. Hope the Tom Mann examples give them some inspiration!
Got the gons put back together. Because of the heating and denting I had done to the bodies they took a bit of gentle nudging to get them back on the steel under frames.
I had Hay Bros meteorological coke loads for these but with the detail on the bottom deck of this model they would look good empty too.
Each car received my usual use of Bradgon weathering powers, some chalk marks dry transfers from Cloverhouse, and one even got a patch made from a small bit of .010 styrene.
Looks like great contest entries this month, I really like the variety of car types.
I ran out of time to get into this contest due to business tax prep. I was able to finish the ATSF MOW flat. So here's some flicks. MTL MOW flat, MTL Z couplers, BLMA air hose, GMM cut levers, BLMA body mounted trucks with FVM 36" metal wheels. Loads are removable.
Before the Pain:
After the Pain:
Wow. Nicely done!
Almost done with mine, nothing special.
Wow Craig, another winner! Love the rusty sides.
I'm in the process of working on some bulkhead flats right now, I'll see what I can do with mine.
Another nice month of weathered cars all!
Here is continuation of last weeks work. I think I'm about done with these.
20160326_184104 by Adam Henry, on Flickr
20160326_172015 by Adam Henry, on Flickr
It has been a hectic month for me. April looks to be a chance to recover. These cars were done using washes of cheap acrylic paints, the trucks were shot with Valspar Blindfold, and the coal loads were converted to gravel with a little help from three different rattle cans...aiming for a 1955 gravel train...
Not sure I like the outcome - the "fade" is a bit streaky - but here are my latest three:
Started as the FVM set:
I do like how the roofs of the two blue ones turned out - I want to get some weathering powder on the top of the orange one and run some dilute india ink over these.