Page 2 of 173 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Wow, I'm envious of your room--very nice! What happened, if you don't mind my asking, to the old Oakville Sub?

Defy Gravity--Ship Rio Grande
    My Rail Images Album
    My Trainboard Albums
    "What you run to in your time of need has become your god" --Anonymous

Jim - fantastic progress! Given the pace of your work, I'm stunned at how neat the room is! So just one question: is being retired as fun as it seems? If so, I can't wait.

-Gary

Hemi: What happened is I retired, sold the house, moved 500 miles south where there is a much larger basement! I think I have a "Deconstructing Oakville" page at the web site, and the full story is there IIRC.

Gary: It was worth waiting for. Of course, the way the markets are going we may start eating dog food, but I have faith in the American economy. That doesn't mean I'm not nervous!
    Jim Reising jereising@aol.com
    Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi at: http://theoakvillesub.freehosting.net/
    And on Trainboard: The New Oakville Sub - TrainBoard.com

Twas a busy week! I laid 160+ feet of track in staging, prewiring as shown here:

Then I drilled and placed the wires through the plywood, creating finished track:

Finally, this afternoon, came a milestone. I dug out and hooked up the necessary DCC gear, put a loco on, and successfully ran my first engine on the new Oakville Sub (I saw that railing after I took the pic; also wish I had used Helicon Focus):

Rob tells my my switches will ship very soon. This will allow me to complete the staging level and proceed with the spline main line.
    Last edited by Jim Reising; October 6th, 2008 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Photo Location Change
    Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi at: http://theoakvillesub.freehosting.net/

All I can say is WOW!!!

This looks like the beginning to a fantastic layout!!

What are you using for track and switches?

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by CraigN View Post
    All I can say is WOW!!!

This looks like the beginning to a fantastic layout!!

What are you using for track and switches?

Craig
    Craig, track is Micro Engineering code 55 weathered. What you are seeing in the photos is actually relay rail. Just like the real roads I'm using old track in the yards...it was a real pain to clean up but has laid nicely.

Anyway, the visible track on the layout will be ME code 55 concrete tie weathered flex, with the wood tie stuff for the occasional siding. Their weathering simply makes the track SO much more realistic IMO.

Switches for the staging area are being built by our own Rob De Rebel and are expected to ship shortly. I was planning on using Atlas code 55 #10s in the visible areas. These will be mainly crossovers. The prototype doesn't have all that much in the way of sidings either.

Jim,

that looks fantastic! Very clean room (I am sort of envious here) and great backdrop. Inspirational!

One question: It looks like there is not a large separation between the stagingyard and the spline roadbed. How are you planning to get to the innermost staging tracks if an accident happens? From my experience they will always happen where access is most limited....

Keep us posted on your great progress.

Cheers
    Dirk
    Modelling Northern Pacific Stampede Pass in 1949

My Railimage Site: http://www.trainboard.com/railimages...00/ppuser/3834

Quote Originally Posted by Caddy58 View Post
    Jim,

that looks fantastic! Very clean room (I am sort of envious here) and great backdrop. Inspirational!

One question: It looks like there is not a large separation between the stagingyard and the spline roadbed. How are you planning to get to the innermost staging tracks if an accident happens? From my experience they will always happen where access is most limited....

Keep us posted on your great progress.

Cheers
    Dirk
    Thanks for the kind words, Dirk.

I built it clean and I keep it clean. It's easier to do good work in a good room.

There is NOT a large separation there but I anticipate no issues.

First, the track WILL be bulletproof.

Second, I can very easily access from the center of the island. And there will be a mountain ridge down the middle to give me headroom.

Third, I plan to have easily removable fascia.

What you can't see is the benchwork is quite high. Doing the wiring was a snap, I simply rolled an office chair under, ducking slightly, and did my thing. The upper level track is just a bit below my eye level, and I'm 5'9". Believe me, I gave all this a LOT of thought before butchering wood!:disdain:

Blog Entries
    Jim, I am jealous but I hope I get an invite someday since it looks like we are neighbors.I would love to get a tour so maybe I will learn something.Keep up the great work.

Jim, looks quite nice!
    I wish I could keep my layout as clean as yours while I build it. For some reason, stuff always seems to pile up in front of the track gang, maybe that's why it's taking them so long to put down the main line! =)

Oh, and thanks for the cars, they are superb =)

-Mike