Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Our N scale layout at the Golden State Model Railroad Museum also models Tehachapi pass. The loop is a fairly faithful reproduction, I love it. The layout models both Tehachapi Pass and Donner Pass, (although neither of them very faithfully, I must say, aside from the loop.)

We do need some better pictures on our website...(if you look at the picture on the N scale page, which at least shows the whole layout, you can barely make out the Tehachapi mountains at the very back of the photo).

EDIT: Gary, just saw you already mentioned it for us, thanks! And BTW, that's an awesome awesome track plan. The kind of thing I dream about. Can I come see it when it's done?

Quote Originally Posted by dave n View Post
    My long range plan is to take over the rest of the basement, and add Woodford & Cliff, and then move Caliente and Modesto to the other side of the room, and put Mojave yard in where Modesto is now.
    Hi Dave, Your scenery looks excellent. I'll be very happy if I can get anywhere near your level of skill.....dave

Smile

Belmont Shore Tehachapi Loop. I have heard it is about 3/4 scale. This picture was taken during an open house.

Kitbashers...UNITE!
    Please support Trainboard's advertisers. Order from a banner add today!
    Visit My RailImages Album

Tehachapi

Check into the LaMesa club in San Diego they are doing a model of the line from Sandcut to Monolith I believe. I know the layout includes of course the loop Caliente and Cliff.

Hi Gary, Thanks for the links. Your layout plan looks very nice, I really like the run from Caliente to Cliff and from Woodford to the tunnel, two of my favorite train watching spots....dave
    Your welcome. Needless to say, these are two of my favorite spots as well. Too bad I'm stuck in Maryland... I do get out to SoCal for work every so often though, so I sneak a side trip every chance I can get!

Wow - that's a great track plan!! And the Belmont layout looks pretty awesome.

My long range plan is to take over the rest of the basement, and add Woodford & Cliff, and then move Caliente and Modesto to the other side of the room, and put Mojave yard in where Modesto is now. But I'm happy w/ what I've got now, for the time that I have to put into modelling it works for me and is a manageable size.
    Thanks Dave. But it's still vaporware compared to yours. I'm also a bit worried that it's too much. My counterargument is that it's basically just an oversized small layout: only 9 turnouts on the main level, and almost no trees or structures. Just *lots* of static grass! So maybe it will go quick...

Good luck with your expansion - sounds like a good plan. Your Modesto station is looking *great*, BTW.

I'm with you on that!!!!! My wife keeps running interference though!!!
    My deal: I can have the basement if I do the laundry. That was easy. Another approach it to expand gradually so she barely notices.

EDIT: Gary, just saw you already mentioned it for us, thanks! And BTW, that's an awesome awesome track plan. The kind of thing I dream about. Can I come see it when it's done?
    Yes!! But you have to bring lots of magnetized containers to fill my bare tables.

Belmont Shore Tehachapi Loop. I have heard it is about 3/4 scale. This picture was taken during an open house.
    Sweet picture Flash. You should add that to the club web page. 3/4 scale looks about right to me. When I was starting my plan I hauled out Google maps and found that most of the curves on the line (including the loop) were about 48" radius in N scale (still sharp for the prototype). 3/4 scale would be 36" which looks plausible from the photo.

I tried 24" for my plan but it just wouldn't cut it. With 20", I was able to get these two signature scenes included with a selective compression factor of less than 3. I'm pretty happy with that. I've run 20+ car auto-racks over the virtual line in 3rd Planit and it looks sweet, so I hope this comes to fruition!

Cheers all,
    Gary

P.S. Does the La Mesa club have a Tehachapi layout in N? Their HO version is fantastic.

P.S. Does the La Mesa club have a Tehachapi layout in N? Their HO version is fantastic.

No just HO to my knowledge

Pardon me for blathering on, but this topic is my current obsession. I just figured out how to save some of the screen shots from 3rd Planit for posting, so I couldn't resist. The first shot is the same scene as the mockup shot I posted on the first page of this thread. It shows the envisioned landforms crudely drawn in:

Around the bend is where the mainline transitions to lower level yard trackage. The second is a shot of the same train a few minutes earlier coming out of tunnel 1 and descending into Caliente, inspired by this shot:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...219245&nseq=54

That's my head in the background. :D Needless to say, this program is nearly as addictive as modeling... but it is great for planning!

Looks like some pretty sweet stuff Gary! Keep us posted!