This news is a little dated.
Via will rebuild its fleet of F40PH-2 units which should add 20 years to their service life. Via has 54 F40's which were built in 1986/87. Each engine has travelled an average of 4.2 million kilometres. The project is expected to be complete by 2012.
- emergency horn
- higher intensity headlight
- event recorder with crash hardened memory
- led indicator lights
- cleaner burning engine with stop/start system -fuel savings of 5 million litres of fuel/year
- fuel heating
- HEP diesel generator - saves fuel and allows for more traction power
- layover heating
- new paint scheme
- new copper air piping, receptacles, switches, relays and wiring.
- cooling fan sequencing
- independent dynamic braking
- microprocessor controls
- new cruise control, de-misting air to windshield, electronic fuel monitoring
- addition of anit-corrosion material
- improved ergonomics, third seat
- automatic horn sequencing
- microwave oven, sun screens and air conditioning
Via Press release