Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Grassinator!

Ztrains Homemade Static Grass Generator

Maybe it's the January doldrums but the forums seem to be a bit slow recently. If you're looking for a really useful and relatively inexpensive project to get you going... how about a static grass applicator?

I found the plans for this applicator online... here is a direct link to the downloadable PDF:
    Static Grass Plans in PDF Format

I've made a few minor changes from the PDF plans but it is essentially the same unit as in the PDF. If you do make this however I would avoid using the 9VDC battery and go with the 12VDC wall wart as the power supply.

The whole unit is relatively inexpensive to build and it really works well. As with anything electrical... be careful when building and using.

Have Fun!

John
    Ztrains: Z Scale (1:220) Model Train Layouts
    Last edited by Raildig; January 21st, 2008 at 04:47 AM.

THANKS JOHN!
    i've wanted to mess with one of these for a while now.
    dave f.

Blog Entries
    I posted that fly zapper from Gold Mine many months ago on a post. Glad someome made something from it.

Depending on the input circuitry, the 12v adapter could give significantly more effective energy than the 9:12 ratio. Most wall-warts have poor filters = high ripple = higher peak voltages. And wall-warts are rated for Volts @ Load. If the load is light, you'll get even more volts. Measuring a typical 12v adapter with no load, using virtually any meter type will read ~15V. 9V adapters will read closer to 12V with no load. So any adapter from 9-12V should work, as long as it is rated for at least 100ma (0.1A). But using a 12V 1A (1000ma) isn't really going to get you any more than a 500ma version.

Very nice design though. I'm impressed how you got that tall grass to all stand up so well. I haven't tried taller grass yet, only he really short stuff.

Jeff,

This design uses the Electronic GoldMine 15,000 volt output negative ion generator rather then the bug zapper's 1500-2000 volt output:

I've never tried the bug zapper for static grass but I can say this this design works very well.

John

John
    Forgive the ignorance on this end, but what is the ion generator? Is that the 9 volt battery or wall wart?

Electrically challenged and also in other areas,
    Loren
    Loren Snyder
    Stonebridge Models

Hi Loren,

Here's the negative ion generator itself:
    12VDC (15kV Output) Negative Ion Generator-The Electronic Goldmine

I'm definitely not too knowledgeable with electronics (which is why I was happy to find the PDF above!)... here's a bit of text from Wikipedia:

"An air ionizer is a device which uses high voltage to ionize, or electrically charge, molecules of air. Negative ions are particles that temporarily contain an extra electron, causing the entire molecule to possess a negative electrical charge."

Mostly... it works

John

I prefer to place a cat (short hair) on my layout, near some fresh glue and zap it with a Taser :o) Loren raises all my "scratch" building supplies.

Joe
    MTL
    Keeping my head down

short or long ... i'm just entertained by the image of tazing the cat!
    can you tell i'm a dog person?
    dave f.
    "i like cats ... they taste like chicken."

David, isnt it funny that everything taste like chicken. Rattle snake, gator, and now, cats. If it taste like chicken, then I rather eat chicken.
    JOHN

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Joe D'Amato View Post
    I prefer to place a cat (short hair) on my layout, near some fresh glue and zap it with a Taser :o) Loren raises all my "scratch" building supplies.
    Joe

I'm not the one raising all those cats.......it's Karin's fault.

First time I catch kitty kitty on one of my modules then I'm going to invite David over for some BBQ feline patties. Static charge be hanged!

One question though, how many lives of a cat does one good jolt from a taser count for anyway?
    Loren
    Last edited by E-8; February 17th, 2010 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Fix [QUOTE] tags
    Loren Snyder
    Stonebridge Models