Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help finding Minitrix parts

Help finding Minitrix parts

Does anyone know a source for Minitrix parts? All I'm looking for is a couple traction tires for a Minitrix "Flying Scotsman" 4-6-2. The only parts alternatives I can find are Nurmberg (nicht gut, weil meine Deutsch ser schlect ist) and an East Coast facility that wants $60-70 to 'service' my loco after I sign here, here and there, then insure and ship the loco. Actually, running without the rubber traction tire improves electrical pickup. Unfortunately, it also causes the grooved driver to ride the rail and run even worse.

My wife wonders why I'm running around the house with scissors, '...looking for tubing and little rubber bands.' We thank you for your help.

Scott

You might try Walthers as they do sell traction tires. You might find what you are looking for.

Sorry, I wish I could help more. This is precisely why I campaign for TT-less steam locomotives. However, this isn't going to help you resolve your problem.

Best of luck!
    RickH

If you look long enough, you are bound to find a prototype for what you desire to model on your layout.

Rick's You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbaG...e=results_main
    Also: http://www.youtube.com/user/Tricky929?feature=watch

try http://www.trixshop.de and klick on the
    steve w.
    certified internet modeller

Blog Entries
    Con-Cor has or did have traction tires for various of its locos. http://www.all-railroads.com/roundhse/nparts.htm

It is possible one of the sizes listed will fit. I used the tire for the USRA pacific on a Con-Cor/Kato Hudson, not having the Hudson specific tire. Works better than the original tire.

Ben
    I'm not a child. I'm a hobbyist!
    -WKRP's "The Big Guy" as his N Scale train travels a loop of track on his office desk.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 4 Painting View Post
    try http://www.trixshop.de and klick on the
    Wow,... that's like the most completely 'non-english' english icon I've ever clicked.

Where are the nscalepartenflugens? Der bitsanstuff?

That's right up there with the home-base Tomytec website.

Hey, I can't speak Swedish either....

N Scale Kits:Randgust Home Terminal
    Logging Prototype: Wheeler & Dusenbury / Hickory Valley Railroad
    Albuquerque Third District in N Scale

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by randgust View Post
    Hey, I can't speak Swedish either....
    Same as English but with a lilt.

I did a search for traction tire but got no results. Didn't try "tyre."

Edit: A Walthers search for traction tire revealed no results but using only "tire" revealed one actually available - Calumet Trains LLC 192-1513 Vinyl Super Traction Tire -- Steam N 6.95. This may be the former Stewart line of tires. These can be stretched using a ball point pen or marking pen of diameter similar to your driver. Takes a little effort to get them fitting smoothly but if like the Stewart tires they work well. My supply of Stewart tires is down to only 3.

Ben
    Last edited by AB&CRRone; November 27th, 2007 at 02:22 PM.
    I'm not a child. I'm a hobbyist!
    -WKRP's "The Big Guy" as his N Scale train travels a loop of track on his office desk.

Quote Originally Posted by Siskiyou View Post
    Does anyone know a source for Minitrix parts?
    Minitrix is owned by Marklin. So a Marlkin dealer should be able to get you the parts. If you don't know of any, here is one who is a friend of mine...

http://www.tedstrains.com/

I know that he'd be more than happy to ship the parts to you. Oh....be advised....these parts are very expensive. Certainly more so that what we come to expect from Altas or Kato. :-( I don't want you to get sticker shock.

Try using the Kato Mikado traction tires which are available.
    Model Power spares ought to work but I don't know if they can be had.
    Stewart Industries (not the company that Bowser bought, the other one) used
    to have a TT installation tool and several sizes of replacement tires, but they were
    pretty thick vinyl-tubing type stuff and not the best (neoprene-ish rubber) type or
    contour.
    As a last resort you could experiment with rolling your own by filling in the groove with silicone bathtup caulk and then truing the tire up by turning the wheel against sandpaper/files..... I'd be inclined to get a junker and swap out the driver with a full tired one and live with the reduced pulling power rather than dealing with the traction tires.
    Charlie Vlk

This might be worth a try, Model Power in Farmingdale, Long Island, NY used to be distributer in the USA of Minitrix. They used to also do repairs at their store. There is a slight chance that they might have some Minitrix parts laying around. Here is their information. It's worth a try and good luck.
    MODEL POWER
    180 Smith Street Farmingdale, NY 11735
    1-800-628-2803

General Questions: info@modelpower.com

Web Orders: websales@modelpower.com

I'm pretty sure the Flying Scottsman is the same chassis as the Minitrix K4 Pacific. Model Power is closing out their Minitrix parts right now, 50% off retail. Many of the SPF's on atlas board have found this out and snatched up most of the boilers and tender shells for kitbashes but I'm pretty sure other parts are still around. As Bernard metioned, Model Power should be your best bet.
    Tony Hines

New Railimages Album: http://www.trainboard.com/railimages...r/4676/cat/500
    Abraham Lincoln - "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."