Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    ku5s is offline Your e-mail bounces. Please change your e-mail address and then contact support.

"n-scale airplane"

Greetings,

It seems that an "n-scale airplane" would be a reasonably common item.

Anyone seen any or know of a source?
    Regards,
    Jim

There hasn't been much made in 1:160 scale.
    Lineside models has (had?) a glider and a Piper Cub.
    Minifigs made a set of six World War II era aircraft.
    Modeling the NYC of the 1950s in N scale.

Does it have to be exactly 1:160 scale or will a close match do? 1:144 is a fairly common scale for aero kits. There is a fairly good range of 1:150 scale desk models. If you wanted something slightly under scale to sit in the background and pretend it's far away, there is also a fair range of 1:200 scale aircraft models.

Cheers
    David

Blog Entries
    Bachman made a series of fighter aircraft years ago. A few were "N Scale". I don't know if they are still available.
    Good luck.

There was at one time an N Scale airport kit, from Arnold I think, that came with two airplanes and a glider.

19,077 AMTRAK and VIA miles

832 Shinkansen Miles (998km)

Bachmann used to make a series of " Mini-planes" years ago. You can still find them on Ebay now and then. They are in a multitude of scales, but several are 1/160. I have one of their AH-1G cobras that I"m going to mold and add several to my N scale US Navy Helicopter assault ship. I've found that if you are looking for anything specific, you really need to search to see what's out there. I've used several 1/144 scale CH-53 Sea Stallion helos from Revell-Germany, and the scale defference isn't too noticeable. If it's something you really want, but can't find, you might try scratch building it or carving a master, and then casting them in resin. It's really not too difficult. I've recently started casting 12+ CH-46 Sea Knight helicopters for the above mentioned carrier, from a master I carved from chunks of sheet styrene laminated together. The only real problem you might have is decals. There is not a lot of after market stuff out there, unless you are building 1/144 scale airliners it seems. Hope this helps.

The market for scale airplanes may be limited, but if you have a sharp eye & a scale ruler, there may be some items to consider:
    1) WalMart has a line of WW2 fighters. 1 German, 1 Japanese, 2 American. Same co that made the 1:144 tanks. 1/3.00 2/6.00. They do come in a variety of schemes. They may be good squadron markings.
    2) Model Power had a line of Postage Stamp Planes. They may still be at Hobby Lobby. HL also had a line of 1:144 kits of plane models. DC3's DC4's to modern 737's.
    Glenn Woodle

Blog Entries
    I have looked for what is available in retail for the last few years and the closest I have seen is 1:144.

I would be interested in 1:200, though, for a landing strip in the distance.
    Proud Owner and Operator of The LESSONS LEARNED LINE

Blog Entries
    I just googled model airplanes 1:160

There are some around. A company named Herpa makes a full line of three engine 1930's vintage transport/passenger Junkers planes in scale.
    Proud Owner and Operator of The LESSONS LEARNED LINE

Only a few of the Model Power planes are N scale, and a few others are very close (1/150, 1/155,etc). There is a WW2 bomber that is 1/160 from MP. The Junkers from Herpa is very nice. I plan to place it outside my air museum some day.

If you can still find them a company called Aero-Base made some photo-etch 1/160 planes that were mostly the "skeletons" of the craft. A little tissue paper could cover the body and wings if you wanted a finished plane. I liked them just the way they came, I used them for a museum.

Above is the Wright Bros. 1903 Flyer, one that had the wings etched out.

The Spirit of St. Louis is in the center of the photo, wings are al ribs. Other planes are also visible on the first and second floor.
    The planes in the show cases are smaller scales, all the others are N.