Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Close Coupling Intermountain F7's

What has anyone done to achieve close coupling between Intermountain F7's? I love the engines, but would like them coupled closer together. Any suggestions, successes? I run two "A" units back to back. I would like to get them close to look more prototypical.
    TrainBoard Attached Thumbnails TrainBoard Attached Thumbnails New F's-c.jpg  
    DocGeoff - Imagineer of the nearly famous "no Name RR," and occasional beach bum....

Unimate (n/k/a Red Caboose) makes a body mount replacement coupler that can accomplish this. They do however require the 5-digit skyhook to couple.

We used to offer them free to customers who reserved IMRC F's in pairs. We dropped the program though due to lack interest (I guess most would rather have automatic coupling.).
    Wig-Wag, LLC
    N Scale for the DiscrimiNatiNg Modeler
    http://www.wig-wag-trains-cart.com
    e-mail: wigwag@swcp.com
    PLEASE NO PM's

Yeah...the Red Caboose couplers need coupling from above....but...they hold superbly. I use them almost exclusively for converting Minitrix and Graham Farrish cars and engines. If you intend on only using these two engines in a consist, or rarely use them separate, this would be a good solution. You can use these couplers in conjunction with any other knuckle coupler, however, you still need to connect from above. They work especially well in conjunction with Kato couplers that are sometimes a little weak.

Here's some thoughts from Verne Niner about this issue, and how he used Unimate couplers to make them couple a lot closer:

Note that Verne basically cut off the back part of that Unimate coupler (the rear 'hole') and left the front hole and plastic intact, so that he could install it.

It's not as close as the prototype, but it's a lot better than the stock Intermountain couplers. If you want to get even closer - maybe you will have to go with drawbars?

For reference, here is what close-coupling looks like on Kato F units equipped with short-shank Unimate 51000 couplers replacing the stock Kato couplers. The Kato F units from the factory also suffer from too-far spacing. The advantage of the Kato F units is that the couplers are truck-mounted, and therefore can use the 51000s to couple closer together than the Unimate 51060s on the body-mount Intermountains.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by atsf_arizona; August 23rd, 2007 at 03:53 AM.
    John Sing
    Sarasota, Florida

Modeling the Santa Fe's 'Peavine Line' from Ash Fork AZ to Phoenix AZ in the 50's/60's
    http://home.comcast.net/~j.sing

Blog Entries
    I tried using the Unimates--they droop so much, it is impossible to couple them! I fiddled with it, and got fed up with making them work, and they now sit in the box. What am I doing wrong?
    I removed the stockers, and screwed on the Unimate. Nothing will couple to it except an upside down IM F-unit.:mad:

Defy Gravity--Ship Rio Grande
    My Rail Images Album
    My Trainboard Albums
    "What you run to in your time of need has become your god" --Anonymous

Smile

Why would it droop if you are using a screw? Just tighten the screw up until it doesn't droop, it would seem. There is something I don't understand here, of course. Are you using that 00-90 screw? Did you enlarge the Unimate coupler hole? Normally, I just use an 00-90 tap on the hole so the screw sets into the threads and won't move up and down. The coupler needs to swivel only a little.

Is the base of the unit the proper height for a coupler?

Kitbashers...UNITE!
    Please support Trainboard's advertisers. Order from a banner add today!
    Visit My RailImages Album

Rail Line HOn3 couplers.

First shot are Kato F7s. The second two are of an IM FT. They just about work for every F unit out there.

Credit to Jim Bence for this suggestion.

Blog Entries
    Where can you get Rail Line products? I tried google and walthers and came up with nada....

Thanks,
    T

Great idea, Anthony. I would like to know where I might buy these Rail Line couplers too.
    John Sing
    Sarasota, Florida

Modeling the Santa Fe's 'Peavine Line' from Ash Fork AZ to Phoenix AZ in the 50's/60's
    http://home.comcast.net/~j.sing

I put an old coupler spring on the screw, allows the coupler to rotate freely, but no droop.