Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unidentified equipment

Among my other odd acquisitions from past years is a Roco crane with flatcar, sold as a ConCor and manufactured in Austria. Mine even has a correct paint scheme for ATSF in my year (1969)--but as far as I can tell, the Santa Fe never used anything like it. It also comes in a black ATSF scheme, a UP scheme, a PRR scheme, and several others. People are selling them on ebay, and other people are snapping them up. What in the heck are they? For instance--perhaps they are UP cranes, or perhaps Roco even got them from some Austrian prototype. (Or just made them up over a beer?) Perhaps I am overly concerned with details, but I would feel very odd having this strange crane on my ATSF layout.

Does anyone else here have one of these, and has anyone figured out the story on them?

Blog Entries

Talking

I'm trying to remember the story behind this item. I owned one years ago. Seems as though it was originally modeled on a European prototype?

Not much else can be had. Except via scratch building, or bashing this one to look as desired.

:D

Boxcab E50

Books & More For Sale: http://www.train-orders.com/RLD.html
    N Scale For Sale: http://www.train-orders.com/NFS.html

Railroadiana, RR photos & more- Please visit my TRAIN ORDERS web site!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying!" "The handyman's secret weapon- Duct Tape!" (Red Green)
    - (GEC-ES #12,18,25,51,55,64,67,68,79,89,90,93,110,119,127)- (#1,10,11,15)-
    Do you issue Model Railroad passes? Let's trade!

Blog Entries
    I have an ATSF crane and boom car. Not sure of manufacturer (imported by AHM, made in Austria) and I've it 30 or more years. The crane is black with a boxcar red cab with ATSF white lettering. It has separate pegs (never used) to operate the crane. The boom car is a black flat with a support for the crane boom and boxcar car red sides. I never wondered about the prototype and it resides in a drawer most of the time.

I bought a newer one painted all black, Con-Cor I think, but have not seen it lately. May have tossed it after using the 6-wheel trucks for something else.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by BoxcabE50 View Post
    I'm trying to remember the story behind this item. I owned one years ago. Seems as though it was originally modeled on a European prototype?

Not much else can be had. Except via scratch building, or bashing this one to look as desired.
    Yeah, it sorta looks European. It was bought as a gift for me about 10 or 11 years ago.

I think the new Bachmann crane & tender looks pretty close to prototype. At least it's bashable--whereas this one would take an awful lot of work.

It's kinda cute, tho. Maybe I should just try to relax and enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by AB&CRRone View Post
    I have an ATSF crane and boom car. Not sure of manufacturer (imported by AHM, made in Austria) and I've it 30 or more years. The crane is black with a boxcar red cab with ATSF white lettering. It has separate pegs (never used) to operate the crane. The boom car is a black flat with a support for the crane boom and boxcar car red sides.
    I've only had mine around 10 years. Looking on ebay, it seems to me that this particular body type has been around in N scale for a long time. You obviously have an early one.

Well, I'm just stumped. I really like to know what it is that I'm operating. :hmm4er:

http://www.tichytraingroup.com/index...+Kits&offset=0

Tichy lists their 120 ton crane kit, as well as various work cars. Needs trucks/couplers, but is reasonably priced, and a nice kit. Frank

Blog Entries
    Use it stationary, (mounted on a platform), at a junk yard or some place.

Blog Entries
    ...Or letter it for a fictional line.
    Steve

picture please

Virtually every railroad has at least one of those big cranes somewhere. I'm not sure about exact styles though. Bachmann sells a steam version of the crane you're talking about...... Montana Rail Link (which I model) has one of these cranes converted to diesel. The cab and chassis on the MRL is an almost exactly the same as the bachmann, but the boom is like the ConCor/AHM. Can you say "kitbash"! Take a Bachmann crane, cut off the smokestack, add a ConCor boom,a little paint, and it's a dead ringer for the real thing.....oh yeah....use the ConCor tender car.