Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Dallas Area Train Stores

Hey everyone I'm going to be in the Dallas area this weekend and was wondering where would be some good stores to check out. Thanks
    Nick

Nick,

I'm copying my reply from another post...

In North Dallas/Plano, you essentially have 3 unique shops, not counting the Hobbytown's and the like.

1. Discount Model Trains - Must see shop. Great inventory and well organized. 4641 Ratliff Ln, Addison, TX 75001-5314, (972) 931-8135
    2. Collectible Train & Toys (www.trainsandtoys.com)- Good selection of books, standard model train stock, lots of Lionel, not a lot of N-scale. "Junk room" in the back is always cool to rummage through. 10051 Whitehurst, #200, Dallas, TX, (214) 373-9469
    3. Silver Spike Hobbies - A little bit of a trip from Plano, but a decent shop if you happen to be out that direction. 525 N. Elm St., Denton, TX 76201, (940) 383-3914. Tue-Fri 10a-6p, Sat 10a-4p

On the Fort Worth side, someone mentioned Buddy Spraggins shop which is on the northeast side of cowtown. There are a couple of others, although if you are travelling by train I doubt you will be able to make anything on the Fort Worth side.
    1. Model Train Crossing (www.modeltraincrossing.com) - This is Buddy's store. Pretty standard hobby shop, decent n-scale. 1113 W Pipeline RD, Hurst, TX 76053 (817)595-0800.
    2. Angelo Hobbies (www.angelohobbies.com)- Very small shop, but good hours and worth a stop if you are looking for something odd. Lot of Digitrax stuff. Fairly close to Buddy's shop. 5515B Bonner, Haltom City, TX 76148, (817) 428-0190; W-F 1-7p, Sat 10a-6p, Sun 1-6p
    3. Hobby World - This is the second best shop in DFW, in my opinion. Not huge, but well stocked and pretty well organized. 5658 Westcreek Dr., Suite 500, Fort Worth, TX 76133 (817) 263-5750; Tues-Fri 3-6p (7p on Thurs), Sat 9a-4:30p

Sweet thanks I printed those off and I'll get some directions on good ole mapquest.

Silver Spike (Denton) has closed as of earlier this year ...
    Mike - a happy TB minion

Interesting. They were open about 3 weeks ago, with no indication of closing.

hmmm, that was the info his wife told me... maybe they weren't having luck with whatever other direction they were trying to go
    Mike - a happy TB minion

Blog Entries
    Well, that sucks.......he was a real nice guy to deal with, too.

Damn............:sad:

Ship IT on the FRISCO!
    photo albums , weblog , YouTube , HCD Society

Catch us on Facebook!

Blog Entries
    Besides the other shops, any mention of M-A-L Hobbies in Irving, or have they gone out of business too?

And as far as Discount is concerned, the only beef I have with them is they have no website. Other than that, I also recommend this place as THE premier shop in the Metroplex (a spot once owned by the late Bobbye Hall before she retired & closed her shop).

Ship IT on the FRISCO!
    photo albums , weblog , YouTube , HCD Society

Catch us on Facebook!

Discount Model Trains in Addison... Is that the small white building near, I think, an airfield? I was in the DFW area a few times over the years. If that is the place I'm thinking of, they had a great selection and good prices too.
    Charles Devine
    (but you can call me Chuck)

Blog Entries
    I went there... and they weren't open.
    Modeling the Missouri Pacific: Austin Subdivision in 1950: The last years of steam. Too bad there wasn't anything bigger than a Berkshire...

My Website

Teen Association of Model Railroaders: Southern Region Representative | Austin & Texas Central - Car Attendant Trainee