Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries
    There are lots of ways up the mountain...each with their own advantages and disadvantages.

Easy Helix offers a stacked, cylindrical-shaped helix in kit form. I believe theirs is intended for HO but could easily be used for N scale. The one on their website has a 68" outside diameter with 2.1 and 2.3 percent grades that rise 2, 6, 10, 14, or 18 inches (more in 4 inch increments). Their stacked helix takes up 32 square feet of real estate and, at 4.5 turns for $230 + shipping, might seem too pricey to some modelers, but worth it for others who don't want to do their own design and component construction.

This calculator is designed to help N-scalers who want to build their own bowl-shaped helix to fit their personal givens and druthers. It automatically determines critical dimensions for a bowl-shaped helix as a function of the specific preferences entered by the modeler. With judicious use of grades before and after the helix, it is possible to rise a considerable distance without going beyond a 48 inch diameter (i.e., the helix footprint could fit in a 4 ft by 4 ft space--16 sq ft). The entire ramp and a 4x4 ft support base panel could potentially be cut from a single 4x8 sheet of plywood and the vertical supports and tangent ramps from another 4x8 sheet...perhaps $100 for a 5 or 6 loop bowl-shaped helix.

Take a look at my blog entries on bowl-shaped helix construction and at Hemi's and Cleggie's threads on their layout construction.
    Dave H.
    Modeling the 1970s era Peoria and Pekin Union Railway in N-Scale
    My Albums
    My Blog

Great table!

Gives me something to work with as far as working out the "future" layout.

No more "estimating".

:thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumb s_up:
    Bob

I can feel my sanity slipping... I think my brain needs traction tires...

Been there, done that:
    O, S, HO, N... not going any smaller...

Oh, and guys, your "helixi" look awesome!

Never thought of building it in the workshop either!!!

Nice work!
    Bob

I can feel my sanity slipping... I think my brain needs traction tires...

Been there, done that:
    O, S, HO, N... not going any smaller...

For those looking for traditional stacked helix, I have created a calculator for that. Download from http://www.savefile.com/projects/808751807.

You can calculate for single track or double track helix. PM me if you need clarifications.
    Jimmy Low
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Blog: Rosenberg Meet in N-scale

My spiral helix. I had the room and did not want a stacked helix on the mainline, so ended up with this. It's going to be fun to scenic.

See ya
    Larry
    http://www.trainboard.com/railimages...r/8745/cat/500

Thanks for the information Dave. This will help me make some decisions.

Olddogg60

I did my file to ease that computing: Untitled Document (well, actually it is for metric system - you know I'm from Europe!). If you want, you can download the file

Conversion.zip

Ciao

I did my file to ease that computing: how to download and use the file (well, actually it is for metric system - you know I'm from Europe!). If you want, you can download the file

Conversion.zip

Ciao
    Last edited by jgiovenni; November 29th, 2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: insert the correct directory/file name

Great information, It will help with designing for my next layout.:thumbs_up:
    Last edited by Andrew Peters; November 7th, 2010 at 12:30 PM. Reason: can't spell

aflex Guest
    Hi Dave,

This is Very nice post on calculating spiral helix dimensions. And I think by reading this post anyone can understand what is the main difference between spiral helix and oval helix is. And how is it works. So I hope you will be continuing with such informative posts.