Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Amtrak - Maple Leaf Route

Blog Entries

Amtrak - Maple Leaf Route

Would any one be able to inform me if Amtrak operate equipment from Buffalo N.Y to Toronto, or is it CN. If they do operate equipment what equipment would typically be used.
    Cheers Owen - "Sometimes The Simplest Idea Can Make The Biggest Difference"

Owen, Amtrak operates #63/64 (Maple leaf) between Washington and Toronto, via New York City and Buffalo. You can see the schedule by clicking on "Maple Leaf" about halfway down the timetable list....

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...2922206&ssid=3
    Hank....I may have to Grow Old, but I Never have to Grow UP!!!

Blog Entries
    Hank

I guess I should rephrase the question. I know the service operates between Washington and Toronto. I understand that CN crews operate the equipment between the USA/Canada border and Toronto. What I was trying to figure out is it Amtrak equipment that the CN crews operate or do all the passengers switch to a VIA equipment

Owen, The timetable makes no mention of an equipment change for passengers at either Niagara Falls, NY or Niagara Falls, ON. There is a scheduled delay for Customs & Immigration at NF, ON northbound and NF, NY southbound. However, I doubt if an equipment change would be made at those locations because the passengers would have to move across the platform between trains. Access to the platform would allow "illegals" to run from the Feds and into one or the other country.

On this same topic, when CP was running a train through northern Maine between Montreal and Halifax, US Border Patrol agents would board the train as it entered the US from Canada. The agents then would lock all doors and stand in each vestibule with weapons drawn. At the opposite border, the agents would unlock the doors and depart. My point is that with this level of paranoia within the US Border Patrol, I doubt if Maple Leaf passengers would be allowed off the train in either NF, NY or NF, ON.

BTW, when I was in Montreal in 1995, my hotel room was directly above the south entrance to Gare Central. I remember seeing at least one Amtrak train entering the station, so as of eleven years ago, Amtrak equipment was running the distance.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Hank, okay that makes sense, Amtrak right into Toronto's Union Station.

I have to ask my dad. He runs from SYR. to NF.
    Last edited by Craig Tyska; November 28th, 2006 at 05:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Tyska View Post
    I have to ask my dad. He runs from SYR. to NF.
    That would be great to have facts, instead of my conjectures.

Craig, where does the Maple Leaf cross the Niagara River? I've visited the Falls area a couple of times, but don't remember seeing a railroad bridge, or a even station for that matter.....:embarassed:

Quote Originally Posted by okane View Post
    Hank

I guess I should rephrase the question. I know the service operates between Washington and Toronto. I understand that CN crews operate the equipment between the USA/Canada border and Toronto. What I was trying to figure out is it Amtrak equipment that the CN crews operate or do all the passengers switch to a VIA equipment
    Once in a while I spot a string of Amfleets in Union Station in the morning. They usually hang out aroud track 10 or 11, but due to the recent construction things have been getting shuffled around.

Thanks Krasny, it makes sense that Amtrak equipment would run the distance, rather than being parked at the border waiting for VIA's return trip from Toronto.

Blog Entries
    Krasny Hank

Thanks for helping out with that. I wanted to incorporate Amtrak into my modeling plans and with Amtrak equipment coming into Union Station that makes this plausible. I will need to head down to union station to see what the train is made up of.