Model Railroad Items | Railroad Books | Railroad Art | Railroadiana | Slides
G Scale | O Scale | S Scale | HO Scale | N Scale | Z Scale

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A website that convinced me NOT to attend.

I have dialup and I didn't have any problems with the site. We can't get cable or DSL where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 4 Painting
    ...the only so called "problem" with this site is the Colorado Museum picture (1,8MB size) and the steam engine picture (777kB size) all the other pictures and features are ok...

steve w.

Yes, this is very poor work, since they are not using the pictures full size, and one can resize pictures in Windows Explorer in a matter of seconds.

Blog Entries
    Where is this "Denver" place to which you are referring?
    Proud Owner and Operator of The LESSONS LEARNED LINE

I would like to go myself, but too many other things to do, and cashflow is a little slow right now. No problem downloading anything, but then I'm on a very high speed DSL line.

We are going to have a N-Scale Convention in LOUISVILLE KENTUCKY in 2008. We plan on having another HUGE NTRAK layout, swap meet, and Train Show, plus much, much more. It should be a WING-DING! As of right now we are HOPING the N-Scale Collector Society will join in, but I cannot say yes or no here. The more the merrier!!

If nothing else remember: LOUISVILLE, N-SCALE IN 2008
    DIESELS?!?!?! We don't need NO stinkin' Diesels!!!!

The INDIANA RAILWAY.......Still 100% Steam Powered in 2014
    MARK

Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.
    Satchel Paige

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Conagher
    After reading the above responses, I think we should blow off Denver and all meet at Pete's in NM or Russell's in TX to have our own N Scale meet & some GREAT fun...:thumbs_up:
    Cam
    Sorry, folks, I'm up in Alaska most of August! Steve, our wonderful house sitter, shouldn't be burdened with showing off the railroad.

Anyone who visits Albuquerque is welcome to visit my railroad. I'm usually here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotheringill
    Where is this "Denver" place to which you are referring?

Go west to Albuquerque and take a RIGHT turn. It's 454 miles.

The page is certainly less than informative if you block Macromedia Flash, as I do to avoid some of the nastier online advertising techniques:

Almost every "link" on the page is a separate Flash program!
    Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
    L o r d Z o x @ a o l . c o m
    Meade Area Railroad Society (MARRS): http://marrsweb.org
    It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

Quote Originally Posted by Doug A.
    How about they maybe don't have money for a development team on the payroll sitting around trying to build pages for the least-common-denominator?
    It doesn't take any more work to design a good site from the outset. Flash animations take more time and affort than plain text or simple graphics. What they've done with flash animations for every single button in the menu can be done just as easily with simple code and plain text. That's just poor design.

It has nothing to do with lowest common denominator, it's about knowing what is good and bad web design. It's not rocket science.

Cheers
    David

Cool my 2 cents...

A handy tool for anyone who is designing a web site is Vincent Flanders' webpagesthatsuck.com
    Sometimes it is easier to learn from the mistakes of others and why their site doesn't work well. Proves that just because someone can design a website does not make them a web designer.
    John Breen
    BALOU LINE ~Uniting the Short Lines of Arizona~
    http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/2227

David,

You are absolutely correct. I based my initial assessment on the assumption that it was only a dial-up issue, and considering the history of certain poster's "sky is falling" mentality.

But, I will say that "knowing what is good and bad web design" isn't necessarily picked up in a "Learn HTML in 24 Hours" book. Keep in mind that these sites may be developed by complete newbies who are handed a book and told "go for it!". Someone may have shown him how to make a hyperlink in Flash and it seemed easy and everyone told him to use Flash on his website, so "voila", there you have it. My ultimate point was not that it requires a web design team or that it takes a long time to do, but that with the first (or at least an experience HTML writer) the second may become an issue, and vice-versa.

I sent the site contact the reduced JPG's hoping that would help, but the site is still painfully slow to scroll. (It does seem to load a little faster, but it "redraws" with every click of the scroll bar...not good)