Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

I took these pictures last month but just got permission to post them by the museum a few days ago. Enjoy.

http://community.webshots.com/album/549415269rGUqeI

Nice photos, thanks.

But I'm confused about "permission". Why would you need the Museum's permission to publish photos that were taken by yourself with your own equipment in a facility that is open to the general public? :confused:
    Hank....I may have to Grow Old, but I Never have to Grow UP!!!

I am glad you enjoyed the pics.

It is a copyright issue. Although most organizations don't enforce it, this museum enforces its rights on its images, no matter who took them.

Blog Entries

The Pima air museum in Tucson, AZ has similar rules. They have every airplane ever made on display, but you can't publish any of your photos of them, and photography is not prohibited. :confused:
    http://www.pioneer.net/~fitzrr/
    "The Water Level Route"
    Jim Fitzgerald
    Thanks to Siggie Masta for this great New York Central Avatar!

Oh well, maybe Shakespeare was correct when he penned "first, we kill all the lawyers,...." :mad: [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img]

Except Mark, of course.... :D :D :D

Well, it is their right to protect their copyright so I can't begrudge them. Copyrights exist for a good reason IMO.

I understand and accept that copyrights protect the creators of intellectual property such as books, software, photographs, etc. from being exploited. But from what you and Jim are saying, these museums are claiming that they have copyright authority over the photographs that their patrons create.

What confuses me is that museums own the items that they have on display. Furthermore, they offer these items for viewing by the general public for an entry fee. However, when the museum allows each patron to carry his/her personal camera equipment onto the museum grounds without restriction, the museum should have no right to the photographs that patron may create while on those grounds. Those photographs are the intellectual property of that patron, not the museum.

Somehow, I don't think this would stand up in Court, but it probably has yet to be challenged.

[ April 15, 2006, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Hytec ]

Actually, it would stand up in court and it is a valid copyright issue. I understand it doesn't make logical sense to you, but the bottom line is that even though a patron took the photographs, the museum still has control over how images of their property is used.

Blog Entries

Unhappy

I don't follow how this would stand up in court. Perhaps if you were a commercial endeavor. But a private individual just sharing his outing with friends?

If that litigation potential is true, then it applies everywhere, all the time. If you wish to share, nobody could do so, excepting pictures of what they personally own.

If you vacationed, taking a cruise, you couldn't share those photos taken on the cruise ship. You don't own the ship! If you stood by the Grand Canyon, you couldn't post those pictures without permission? If I ride the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic, I can't post pictures of my trip that I paid for, without permission? No way.

It makes no sense. If you take a photo of something you see, you get sued? In this case, no cameras should be allowed.

If your pictures are controlled by someone else, why even buy a camera? :confused:

Boxcab E50

Books & More For Sale: http://www.train-orders.com/RLD.html
    N Scale For Sale: http://www.train-orders.com/NFS.html

Railroadiana, RR photos & more- Please visit my TRAIN ORDERS web site!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying!" "The handyman's secret weapon- Duct Tape!" (Red Green)
    - (GEC-ES #12,18,25,51,55,64,67,68,79,89,90,93,110,119,127)- (#1,10,11,15)-
    Do you issue Model Railroad passes? Let's trade!

Originally posted by BoxcabE50:
    If your pictures are controlled by someone else, why even buy a camera?
    Ken, your analogy is 100% correct, and describes the basis of a totalitarian system. Just reflect on the Gulags of Stalin as a prime example, or perhaps Hitler's attempt to create the "Master Race" by exterminating all whom he believed to be beneath his definition of humanity.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant. However, I firmly believe that tolerance based on logic will ultimately succeed.