Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turntables

NSCALEMIKE's picture of a CF-7 on a turntable made me wonder - how often are turntables used today? I have an ulterior motive in the question - I'm putting together a new modern era layout and as I review track plans I keep seeing turntables on them.

I know U.P. has this one in Denver:

William

In Dunsmuir, California Union Pacific still uses a turntable that has been there since the days when S.P. cab-forwards used to gather there in great numbers to assist consists over the Siskiyous. I saw a modern diesel sitting on it as recent as last October. The Dunsmuir turntable looks alot like the one in your pic. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Bill
    Trainboard member #13
    Get Goosed on the Yreka Western

Blog Entries

I know that there is a turntable at BNSF's Vancouver Washington Yard.
    It looks like a short table to me and is used exclusivly for tunring locomotives as their is no space for a roundhouse (and I don't think there ever could be. For the past couple months there's been a busted p SD-40 on the table. It has some cab damage. I don't remember the number but it had one of those snow shield extensions above the walkway by the blower.

Of course, their is also the Brooklyn Roundhouse and table in UP's Brooklyn (Portland or) Yard, but while owned by the railroad, it is used specifically to keep the 4449 and other historic society and privatly owned Engines.

Also

I know off-hand of two other BNSF turntables still around....Amarillo, TX and Eola, (Aurora) Illinois.

There is 2 turntables local to me, one is for the Western Maryland scenic Railroad, (Tourist attraction line) Not a class 1 railroad.

THE other one is in Cumberland Maryland, in CSX's railyard. I believe they use it on a regular basis! I would guess once a day, at least, its remnants of the days of the B&O, in the steam era as well.... If I'm not mistaken its a 115 foot turntable.

I have pictures of this, with a GP-40-2, an a RDMT slug on it being turned. I can't post pictures of it right now, But I get a chance to find the disk these pictures are on, I'll make note to post them!

I wonder what they are still used for... The one in the picture above appears to the untrained eye to be used pretty much as a four-way switch more than anything else. In fact, that picture was taken as the operator routed the switcher onto the second track from above.

Blog Entries

Well, the one in Vancouver WA is for turning engines/

Why do they need to turn engines in this day and age?

I'm sure there are others, but one scenario is three locomotives in a consist, two facing east and one facing west. The consist will be heading westbound but the lone westward locomotive has a bad ordered cab control stand...but is otherwise functional. (or maybe it is the only unit without A/C) The hostlers would need to turn one of the other units to function as a lead unit in this case.

Another situation would be an A-B-B set of GP60's changing direction, for obvious reasons.

I know there is a turntable in my town (Raleigh, N.C.) that dates back to the Seaboard Air Line days... I have pictures of it in use in the late 90's and think it may still be used today. Apparently it was used to service a roundhouse that once existed (that I never saw)

Harold
    Harold Hodnett
    Visit my photo gallery