Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kato GS4!

Kato GS4!

Just ordered a Kato GS4 from a TB advertiser, because the price was right !!! I admit I'm a "steam rookie" (only own one !!!) and I'm wondering what I should expect when I finally get my grubby mits on this thing. Is there anything specific I should do before break-in ??? With Diesels, I can usually toss 'em on the rails and let 'em go. It just seems that there might be more to the steamer, ya' know ??? Any advice ??? Thanks !!!

you may not know it, but you just started World War III

LOL

Other than watching the fingers and thumbs on the valve gear and drive rods there isn't much else. Unlike diesels those moving parts need to be gently handled. Put her on the track and let her run slow speed for a while and keep watch on the drive rods to make sure all the pins are secure. Try not to drool too much on the loco or track, causes shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Run8Racing View Post
    Just ordered a Kato GS4 from a TB advertiser, because the price was right !!! I admit I'm a "steam rookie" (only own one !!!) and I'm wondering what I should expect when I finally get my grubby mits on this thing. Is there anything specific I should do before break-in ??? With Diesels, I can usually toss 'em on the rails and let 'em go. It just seems that there might be more to the steamer, ya' know ??? Any advice ??? Thanks !!!
    The only problem I have encountered with the GS-4 is with the traction bands. Be careful not to push the loco on the track, it will stretch the bands and they will run off.
    You may want to pick up a package of replacement bands while they are available for future use.
    Happy railroading.

Harold

Definitely agree on the drooling, but there is room for everyone, in less than a centimeter!

The traction tires are definitely the weak spot. Someone will hopefully mention the adhesive they found that a dab under the tire, fixes the issue. I want to try it next time mine blows off. When you find yourself changing the tire, Treat the pin like gold. They are rare.
    Marty

Firmly committed to Amtrak and a fantasy line. Now, just looking for the time to do it....

Blog Entries
    I use a little bit of Bullfrog Snot to secure the traction tires.
    Russell Straw, Sugar Land Route

Quote Originally Posted by kmcsjr View Post
    Definitely agree on the drooling, but there is room for everyone, in less than a centimeter!

The traction tires are definitely the weak spot. Someone will hopefully mention the adhesive they found that a dab under the tire, fixes the issue. I want to try it next time mine blows off. When you find yourself changing the tire, Treat the pin like gold. They are rare.
    Someone mentioned thin CA so I tried a very SMALL drop after replacing the tire. It seems to be working well.

I have 3 gs4 locos, all great runners.

I use floquil engine black to secure traction tires.

For sure, the traction tires are the problem to watch for. In my case, when they came off, I did not replace them. Instead I turned the loco upside down and ran at a slow speed and carefully applied 2-3 coats of BF snot into the tire grooves. Works well and loco runs well.

Carl

I'd go with "Place gently on the track" rather than "toss in the general direction of track" myself. but each to their own.