Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sabrestar Decals First ever Decal sheet!

Here it is guys, finally done! My friend is going to call Amtrak and Chicago Terminal this week to get their permission, but if all goes according to plan, this will be on sale as soon as i find someone to print it!

-Orion Field

Blogger, Business Analyst, CEO NomNom.biz, CEO Silicon Valley Models, Co-Founder of Sabrestar Decals, Social Media Director of IPMS Syracuse. Oh yeah...train nut!

WANTED N scale:SP Harriman Commuter Cars,Chicago Northwestern ​Wheels of time Bilevel cars, Wheels of Time Caltrain bilevels

Current Customs on workbench: Chicago Northwestern GP9 Torpedo Tube #1756, BNSF GP9 Torpedo Tubes #1695, Illinois Central Standard Cab SD70 #1008 (CN Colors)

Artwork looks good. Has this been “assembled” in the graphics program (Illustrator, Corel??) such that layers (spot colors) for the non-font based items could be printed by someone who owns an Alps ( if that was possibly your plan)? If you want it printed as shown in CMYK and it is a single layer you may have to deal with the dithering effect. I printed up some Amtrak Auto Train lettering before and it took a little experimenting to overlay colors to get close to the Amtrak blue.

Since you are focusing on Amtrak – any idea what the font for the Amtrak Surfliner’s is supposed to be?

Are you open to preparing artwork (fee based) on an “as contacted” basis for someone like myself which can print on an Alps? There are some things I would like to do that I don’t have the time for right now. I normally do my artwork up in Corel so I would need it in that format.

Thanks,
    Jeff

You might consider searching on how to license the Amtrak name, trademark, logo, etc. before just giving them a call. My casual read of this from discussions elsewhere is that obtaining a licensing agreement involves a fair amount of paperwork.

In addition, Walthers has the exclusive right to models of the Amtrak Phase V paint scheme. I don't know whether that includes decals, but if it does-- and sorry to throw cold water on this-- you're done right there.
    George in Ellison Park, NY
    UMTRR, A1G, W&NY and more...IrwinsJournal.com

Quote Originally Posted by umtrr-author View Post
    You might consider searching on how to license the Amtrak name, trademark, logo, etc. before just giving them a call. My casual read of this from discussions elsewhere is that obtaining a licensing agreement involves a fair amount of paperwork.

In addition, Walthers has the exclusive right to models of the Amtrak Phase V paint scheme. I don't know whether that includes decals, but if it does-- and sorry to throw cold water on this-- you're done right there.
    Are you sure about that? Because they aren't the only ones who release Amtrak phase V trains, and especially not in N scale as far as I know. Unless Kato is somehow owned by them.
    -Orion Field

Blogger, Business Analyst, CEO NomNom.biz, CEO Silicon Valley Models, Co-Founder of Sabrestar Decals, Social Media Director of IPMS Syracuse. Oh yeah...train nut!

WANTED N scale:SP Harriman Commuter Cars,Chicago Northwestern ​Wheels of time Bilevel cars, Wheels of Time Caltrain bilevels

Current Customs on workbench: Chicago Northwestern GP9 Torpedo Tube #1756, BNSF GP9 Torpedo Tubes #1695, Illinois Central Standard Cab SD70 #1008 (CN Colors)

Quote Originally Posted by JDG View Post
    Artwork looks good. Has this been “assembled” in the graphics program (Illustrator, Corel??) such that layers (spot colors) for the non-font based items could be printed by someone who owns an Alps ( if that was possibly your plan)? If you want it printed as shown in CMYK and it is a single layer you may have to deal with the dithering effect. I printed up some Amtrak Auto Train lettering before and it took a little experimenting to overlay colors to get close to the Amtrak blue.

Since you are focusing on Amtrak – any idea what the font for the Amtrak Surfliner’s is supposed to be?

Are you open to preparing artwork (fee based) on an “as contacted” basis for someone like myself which can print on an Alps? There are some things I would like to do that I don’t have the time for right now. I normally do my artwork up in Corel so I would need it in that format.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    I used Illustrator CS5, and every color has its own layer. I don't know the font off the top of my head, and I will PM you when I find it. I am also open to commissions.
    -Orion Field

Sorry for the triple post, but I stand corrected, after some research, you are right about the exclusive contract. It seems like Kato licensed from Walthers as far as I can find, as opposed to through Amtrak. If Amtrak turns out to be a dead end, I will try the same approach.

This whole Intellectual Property issue confuses me. It all stems from Amtrak's incorporation. I know that Amtrak is federally funded, but they are not part of the Government. Because if they were, everything of theirs would be public domain, like aircraft roundels. It just seems like a lot of gray area to me, but I have my attorney looking into things, so we'll see what he can figure out.
    -Orion Field

UPDATE

We have sent out requests so far to Union Pacific, Amtrak, Caltrain, NY Susquehanna & Western, BNSF and the Chicago Terminal Railway. Since I am in India, I can't call the others, so I will try to get one of my friends to call on my behalf. Still need to call Metra, Norfolk Southern, CSX, CP and CN.
    -Orion Field

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by orionfield View Post
    UPDATE

We have sent out requests so far to Union Pacific, Amtrak, Caltrain, NY Susquehanna & Western, BNSF and the Chicago Terminal Railway. Since I am in India, I can't call the others, so I will try to get one of my friends to call on my behalf. Still need to call Metra, Norfolk Southern, CSX, CP and CN.
    Other than the fact that you have posted this same Amtrak decal sheet in several other threads (which I am assuming you are doing to promote) why would someone want to purchase your decals over the Microscale release? Microscale has several variations of NS, CP, CN, CSX, etc... not trying to be a wet blanket, I'm just curious what you bring to the table.

Because we aren't going to release the same decals as microscale, if you notice, microscale doesn't have any phase V decals. We are also going to do Metra decals, they were very excited about our idea, and we are working on a license agreement. I just feel like Microscale has close to a monopoly on railroad decals, and we can offer things that they don't. This isn't my job, so I am not in it for a profit, I'm in it to help the hobby. Anyway I want to focus more on the fallen flags that the Class 1s own the rights to, more than the contemporary stuff.
    -Orion Field

If you ever want to do a set of diesel decals for a little podunk line called Palouse river and Coulee city (PCC), I'd be in for a number of sets. Easy decals to produce as they're all white.

Brian
    Visit my Railimages gallery at:
    My trains