Hello al together,
as the N&W and the coal roads in the appalachian, I am a mining engineer by profession, are my favorites i needed to get some small steam power which commonly served the tipples an hollows in the coal fields.
As the N&W not really used Baldwin 2-8-0 I had to look out for something different. I found an old Bowser kit of a more generic 2-8-0 loco. This engine had the total length, boiler configuration and engine block shape of the N&W 2-8-0 Class W2. The photos of these engine were available in the net til a few month ago and so I had some references.
The biggest concerns about the kit where...
1. the boiler center line was way to high
2. the cab was totally wrong
3. the tender was not correct
4. the driver size was to big
I want to show here the progress I have made with this kit til I started the project some 3 jears ago.
The problem with the driver sizes I decided not to change, because I do not have the tools and the expertise to change the driver wheel base by myself.
So I assembled the drivers as the kit suggests.
After that the boiler needed some reshaping, as on the engine 944 for instance the boiler side way was mounted in two parts, where the front part was lowered to the level of the cylinder block. The second, much bigger alteration was lowering the boiler for about 4mm. The kit had the boiler center line at a level of 10' 11", which is higher than most other engines in europe an US and far to high for an old fashioned 2-8-0. So I lowered the center line for about 4mm which resulted to a prototype hight of aout 9' 8".
Here you can see the difference and I think it makes a more balanced impression of such an engine.
Before the change 10' 11":
After the change 9' 8":
The next thing was to rebuild the cab. I made a lot of experiences in soldering brass and now I understand the price to be paied for a brass loco. Than I applicated some more details to the boiler. The next photo shows the loco fully equipped but still with the wrong tender:
The tender is actually exchanged with a brass N&W Tender of the correct size and shape, which was soldered by some japanese supplier of excellent brass models.
The next step I have to take is to get some paint on the mashine...
the dcc sound decoder to be installed is on the way to my engine shop, as the motor is insulated, the pick-up is extended to all wheels (drivers and tender wheels), wiring is prepared...
so stay tuned till the next post