Help with decoder selection

I'm doing this
    http://www.stacken.kth.se/~haba/slam...0-640x480.html

The description mentions removing a capacitor between the motor leads. Is this necessary?
    I found this on smallest wired decoder. Is there anything newer?
    http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/...-scale-decoder
    Thanks
    Marty

Firmly committed to Amtrak and a fantasy line. Now, just looking for the time to do it....

You need to remove the capacitor connected to the motor leads because it will interfere with the pulse width modulated signal that decoders use to control the motor.

The link for the decoders is several years old. Most manufacturers have released updated decoders. I would suggest either the Lenz Silver Mini+ or the ESU Lokpilot micro version 4. Both have excellent motor control.

Capacitors

Quote Originally Posted by markwr View Post
    You need to remove the capacitor connected to the motor leads because it will interfere with the pulse width modulated signal that decoders use to control the motor.

The link for the decoders is several years old. Most manufacturers have released updated decoders. I would suggest either the Lenz Silver Mini+ or the ESU Lokpilot micro version 4. Both have excellent motor control.
    The EU requires filters on the locos that are two inductors and anywhere from one to three capacitors. Most remove the caps as decoders today have slow speed characteristics that the caps cause slow speed issues with.

Rich

soooo, if I post a pic of the decoder, will someone identify the proper cap to remove?
    thx
    Marty

Firmly committed to Amtrak and a fantasy line. Now, just looking for the time to do it....

You're not removing any capacitors from the decoder. The capacitor that is being removed is connected across the motor leads of the locomotive prior to installing the decoder.

Folks, I'm ready to do this tonight! FAVORITE loco ( its in my Avatar), but I do have a backup mechanism, if I blow it up! Not that I think I could!
    Markwr - thanks, I see the cap I'm removing from the board (compared my loco to the pic).
    Last edited by kmcsjr; May 20th, 2012 at 12:07 AM.
    Marty