Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I go by the user-name Selector on all forums but this one, including Atlas. I did get to Atlas every day, but found it very limited in its scope. If you are a diesel modeller, especially one who uses Atlas locomotives, you would find it a most useful site. There was little interest in steam.

I'm sure we can slide down the bench and let you warm your share of it.
    Crandell

I'm an Atlas forum member too, until May 1st that is when it'll go POOF! I won't miss it.
    Running Bear

Managing director of the Midland Gulf Railway.

To give atlas some credit... For a long time the only section i'd visit on Atlas was the O scale section. Those guys had some nice layouts even if don't model in O scale.
    Geeky
    Keep yer countin' to your own damn rivets!

I was at the Atlas Forum for 13 years and saw it evolve many times. Sadly, the last year or so it had degenerated into a monotonous pissing match with remapant negativity and little substantive content. I was a very active participant early on, but I saw the focus shift from modeling to critiqueing to simply looking for everything that was wrong about a particular model, manufacturer or practice. Their closing may be for the better as birds of a feather will regather at different sites more suited to their particular interests. A lot of sites will benefit from their demise through increased traffic from members used to seeing a very active forum pace. Trainboard has a lot of promise as it is both a forum and photohosting site making it a logical fit for those of us who actually model and like to share. Good to see some familiar names and I hope this fills the hole left by the atlas closure.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Plummer View Post
    I was at the Atlas Forum for 13 years and saw it evolve many times. Sadly, the last year or so it had degenerated into a monotonous pissing match with remapant negativity and little substantive content. I was a very active participant early on, but I saw the focus shift from modeling to critiqueing to simply looking for everything that was wrong about a particular model, manufacturer or practice. Their closing may be for the better as birds of a feather will regather at different sites more suited to their particular interests. A lot of sites will benefit from their demise through increased traffic from members used to seeing a very active forum pace. Trainboard has a lot of promise as it is both a forum and photohosting site making it a logical fit for those of us who actually model and like to share. Good to see some familiar names and I hope this fills the hole left by the atlas closure.

Dave
    ...hey Dave, it's really good to see you on here, and I have to totally agree with you about what happened at the Atlas Forum over the last year or so. It got to the point where you'd go there for a daily perusal and, after wading through the traded insults, question why you went there in the first place, it's kind of left a bad taste in my mouth for awhile now. Hope your right and some of the more informative modelers who have lots of good tips and hints will show up over here...

cheers,

Lorne Miller

What you guys are describing is why I switched to the O scale section on atlas. Everything in that section was really positive. I recall one guy, industrial rails, who had a really nice shelf layout.
    Geeky

Blog Entries
    I have been on Trainboard almost from the beginning and I heard about the Atlas forums and all the negative connotations in regards to the Atlas forum through here. Curiosity got the best of me a few years ago and I did set up an account but I maye have only posted 2 or 3 times.
    Pat M.
    Carolina, Chicopee & Central Illinois
    "The Chicopee Road"
    http://cccirr.blogspot.com

E-Passes now available, let's trade!

he he he we've had our tussles over here too. I've been in stirred up some, of my own. Funny thing is, over here we end up being best buddies with the people we had a step back from the computer moment with.
    Geeky

I am a former member from the Atlas Forum, but would only post once in a while there the same as here if the topic was of interest to me. I did like the Atlas Forum in a way that they would call out the manufacturer's when they released a real piece of junk and nobody else would call them on it.

I have been a member here for about two years but did not post a lot as it seemed to be more concerned with N scale than HO scale.

I recognize a lot of you from the Atlas Forum, but although I may disagree with somebody I wil never call them a name or disparrage them (Except for Benny on the Atlas Forum).

Good to see all you guys!

Rick Jesionowski
    Rule 1: This is my railroad.
    Rule 2: I make the rules.
    Rule 3: Illuminating discussion of prototype history, equipment and operating practices is always welcome, but in the event of visitor-perceived anacronisms, detail descrepancies or operating errors, consult RULE 1!:eyeroll:

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey-wimberly View Post
    I'm an Atlas forum member too, until May 1st that is when it'll go POOF! I won't miss it.
    While a few people could be jerks there, and lets be fair, I've seen jerks in other forums too.

I"m not ashamed to say I WILL miss Atlas forums. I'm not going to distance myself or anything. I've been there since the very beginning in 1994 and been a frequent flyer for a long time. It's been a fun and active place. Tomorrow it will go poof and it will be strange not to be able to go there and post anymore.