Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I think the Atlas forum reached its height in 2004-2006, and has been in decline ever since. I'm not sure what happened but people started showing les,, contributing less and arguing more. Its probably a good time to put it to rest.

I have had an account there since at least 2002-2003, but don't post much there anymore. TB has a lot of features that Atlas does not, but I am probably most at home over at therailwire.net, where we have formed a merry band of missfits and northeastern modelers. Sad to see Atlas Forum go, but hope that energy is used to benifit N scale.

I hope they save everything, lots of knowledge there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YoHo View Post
    It was a good forum, but I honestly don't understand why Atlas and for that matter Bachmann spend the money on that. It's one thing if it's strictly for support, but as a community building system, it is best handled by Kalmbach, Carstens and well independents like this very site.
    I would wonder if they'd thought it was possibly valuable in marketing research. Otherwise?
    Books & More For Sale: http://www.train-orders.com/RLD.html N Scale For Sale: http://www.train-orders.com/NFS.html

Railroadiana, RR photos & more- Please visit my TRAIN ORDERS web site!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying!" "The handyman's secret weapon- Duct Tape!" (Red Green)
    - (#1,10,11,15)-
    (GEC-ES #12, 18, 25, 51, 55, 64, 67 ,68, 79, 89, 90, 93, 110, 119, 127, 132, 136, 138)
    Do you issue Model Railroad passes? Let's trade!

Quote Originally Posted by BoxcabE50 View Post
    I would wonder if they'd thought it was possibly valuable in marketing research. Otherwise?
    I'm sure it was at first. As time went on, it got out of control a couple of times. With all the other forums & sites on the internet, including this one, I guess they figure if they want to get opinions, its just as easy & cheaper to post elsewhere.
    Mike
    My RailImages album
    THANKS TO SIGGIE MASTA FOR THE GREAT AVATAR
    If your addictted to N Scale, just smile & remember, you too are insane! :wink:

Maybe they will become a supporter of TrainBoard!
    Respectfully,

David

Our Future is in our Hands!

Modeling the ATSF from Winslow to Barstow

I came over here to TrainBoard after being on one of the AOL N scale groups way back when. A number of years ago I signed up on the Atlas site and I don't think I ever posted anything there. What I did see was a lot of arguing, flaming, and just plain negativity at the time to the point that I rarely even visited there. In fact so rarely that that I can't even remember my password for there. Now there were and probably still are some decent folks there but I find I much preferr the more consistant civil attitude here.

Hmm.. interesting timing for me. I've been on the Atlas forum since about 1999 (as 'tomvitacco') and will definitley miss the insanity. Just a couple of weeks ago I got the crazy "inspiration" to completely dismantle my fairly large (10x6x3 foot L-shaped) N scale layout and consider transitioning over to Z scale. I've even began selling some of my engines, cars and buildings to reduce my collection until I figure out what I'm going to do with N scale. I recently built a couple of small Z scale layouts to test my interest and I seem to like it. My search for a Z scale forum led me to Trainboard so I guess I'll also check out the N forum while I'm here as well. Hopefully lots of us Atlas members will end up over here as our new home.

Just recently while this forum was down there were a couple on the Atlas board trashing us here at TrainBoard.

It bothered me when they did it , especially since so many people are members on both forums . But I learned a long time ago that it is better not to type than to get involved in arguments of that type.

I prefer the friendly atmosphere here and on N-scale.net anyways but I am still sad to see it go.

Craig

I recall reading the Trainboard forum brashing over on Atlas and was wondering what that was all about.. I think I had just signed up for the Z scale forum and didn't really see any of the issues that people were talking about. One thing I really like about Trainboard so far is the actual forum software- it seems to be a more "modern" system and a cleaner look.

Blog Entries
    This place does have the friendliest vibe. I am also a member on the kalmbach forums. I mostly stay in the trains section. Our own Stourbridge Lion is a mod and let me tell you, that place is a nightmare.