Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have both Bachmann's Berkshire and their Baldwin Sharknose and both are nice looking and good performing engines for the price, but Rick is right, too. Back in the day, they made some terrible junk. However, I wouldn't be scared of their newer equipment at all.

http://www.h0scale.com/photos/showfull.php?photo=3330

Link to double headed Bachmann Berkshires on the Blue Water Modular Club layout.

In Ho scale I have NEVER seen a Bachman Spectrum loco that was not a good runner.I would tend to stay away from any non-spectrum loco though. Its N scale where the problems are, although most are fixable. ( I own 4 B-man steamers) .....Mike
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for thou art with me Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me

Blog Entries
    Rick, I think you have made the case for the classic Bachmann reputation and certainly their lower level product isn't anything to be impressed by, but you are missing the boat on products like the baby trainmaster there and giving advice based on products many of which Bachmann doesn't make any more.

Even the bad Bachmann stuff like their base model GP40 is based on Old Atlas/Roco Molds that are better than any of the old Pancake motor junk of the past.

This isn't your father's trainset junk and it isn't the Bachmann N-scale junk either.
    There are many club members at my club that show up with Bachmann FTs which are not spectrum and the Alaska Railway set with the GP40s and run the heck out of them with no problems whatsoever.

So in short, you should just pretend like this stuff is from a new company, not the Bachmann of old and remember that HO isn't N-scale. It would do your bias some good.

Having said all that, I would probably avoid early 90s era spectrum stuff just because they were still figuring there way through a quality product and also, while they are good solid basic products, they aren't creme de la creme either at least their diesels. Steam on the other hand...

Blog Entries
    Looking at it it appears to be okay but not as good as the Atlas classic, RS-1 that I have. I was very lucky to get that one. It's not easy to find New Haven Locomotives but maybe I should wait for the RS-11 which is what I'd rather have. More train show to go to.

A good sermon should be like a woman's skirt: short enough to rouse the interest, but long enough to cover the essentials.

I have three Bachmann diesels in active service on my layout, two GP7's and a GP38-2. All three are DCC and run very smooth and quiet, even quieter than my Atlas locos. I would happily buy more if I had the money to do so.
    Running Bear

Managing director of the Midland Gulf Railway.

Blog Entries
    For the price described, I'd say it is worth a try.
    Books & More For Sale: http://www.train-orders.com/RLD.html N Scale For Sale: http://www.train-orders.com/NFS.html

Railroadiana, RR photos & more- Please visit my TRAIN ORDERS web site!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying!" "The handyman's secret weapon- Duct Tape!" (Red Green)
    - (#1,10,11,15)-
    (GEC-ES #12, 18, 25, 51, 55, 64, 67 ,68, 79, 89, 90, 93, 110, 119, 127, 132, 136, 138)
    Do you issue Model Railroad passes? Let's trade!

Blog Entries
    Yes I think I'll take a chance.
    A good sermon should be like a woman's skirt: short enough to rouse the interest, but long enough to cover the essentials.

The MR Virginian project layout uses two of the Bachmann H16-44s...and they seem to run fine on their layout.
    http://mrr.trains.com/Videos/MR%20Pr...nian%20Ry.aspx
    Paul H. Liddiard
    Rio Grande FOREVER & then some
    Front Runner Engineer