View Poll Results: Having read these comments, my feeling about shipping charges are:

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • I understand the costs would be around $9 to ship and I would pay that

47 58.02%
  • That's too much money to ship a product to me and I will not pay that

30 37.04%
  • I am one of the fruitcakers and this gives me something to click on

4 4.94%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Go with First Class. The only real advantage offered by Priority Mail is the handy-dandy box, and it ain't worth the price they charge for the service. And you don't need signature confirmation -- I order from several online retailers, and none of them use that.

Go with the cheapest shipping rate, and add $1 per order for shipping and handling. No one who has ever prepared a bunch of packages for shipment is going to begrudge you the extra buck.

Good luck!

Jim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David K. Smith View Post
    I'd be in for a custom car, but I honestly don't understand why it has to be shipped via Priority Mail. You can ship the same package from one coast to the other via First Class for less than $2.00; delivery confirmation is free, insurance is a buck eighty-five, grand total is about $3.66. Even if you had to buy a new shipping box, that's what, another buck? So, explain the logic of Priority Mail to me.
    I will look at shipping boxes to check the cost. One thing that comes to mind is that the cost would be different for each package. The items would be shipped from Maine. It would not cost much to ship to New Hampshire, more to ship to California. Will people be comfortable paying a flat rate so we don't have to deal with all kinds of numbers and computing different shiping rates? The Priority Mail free boxes, free tape, and all of that is handy for doing a large mailing.

Charlie

Frisco N Scale - Frisco Archive - Small signatures are good signatures - Support TrainBoard - Instagram: FriscoCharlie

Can I pick it up n Maine and save the shipping cost entirely ? I live in the Cul De Sac part of Maine so it should only cost me about 50 bucks to drive to civilization.

Randy

Blog Entries
    I guess I am different, I think the priority mail is fine, I'll pay the extra to make it a little easier on the shipper. If you go with First Class, then you need to round up boxes, and supplies from an Office Depot, so that will add to the cost, plus you have to pay different postage for each one. I vote for priority mail, go pick up a ton of the free boxes, pack them up and drop them off!
    Dan

If you use USPS Click-n-ship delivery confirmation is free. Also click-n-ship is discounted from counter placed postage. Shipping should be an option for the customer to choose. First Class cannot be done by click-n-ship (no discount) and you must provide your own packaging which adds cost.
    Wig-Wag, LLC
    N Scale for the DiscrimiNatiNg Modeler
    http://www.wig-wag-trains-cart.com
    e-mail: wigwag@swcp.com
    PLEASE NO PM's

I agree with...uh...whoever wrote that last post from Wig-Wag.

I'd like to be able to choose my own shipping and also whether to pay for insurance or not. The USPS tends to scatter packages all over my neighborhood--and only a few neighbors bother to redirect them--but I still have only ever lost one expensive package. I'd still prefer to opt out of insurance and confirmation and all that.

Why buy a box???? Bubble wrap it and send in a manilla envelope......Mike
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for thou art with me Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dstjohn View Post
    If you go with First Class, then you need to round up boxes, and supplies from an Office Depot, so that will add to the cost, plus you have to pay different postage for each one.
    Quite correct. We might be able to scrounge some materials, but for any quantity, packing materials will need to be bought and that cost considered= $$$.

Office depot or whatever source, will also require someone on Staff to find time from their day and run the errand= $$$ gas out of our pocket.

I doubt we'd opt away from the confirmation aspect. Especially if somehow making an uninsured shipment. Confirmation at most is only seventy five cents, (at the USPS window method), for Priority Mail. It goes up on other types of postage.

Any option which might require us to go to USPS to make shipment= $$$ for us in gas money, again out of pocket.

Nothing is inexpensive these days and sadly it is only going steadily upward.
    Books & More For Sale: http://www.train-orders.com/RLD.html N Scale For Sale: http://www.train-orders.com/NFS.html

Railroadiana, RR photos & more- Please visit my TRAIN ORDERS web site!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying!" "The handyman's secret weapon- Duct Tape!" (Red Green)
    - (#1,10,11,15)-
    (GEC-ES #12, 18, 25, 51, 55, 64, 67 ,68, 79, 89, 90, 93, 110, 119, 127, 132, 136, 138)
    Do you issue Model Railroad passes? Let's trade!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Why buy a box???? Bubble wrap it and send in a manilla envelope......Mike
    Too easy for that type of envelope to be ripped open in any rough handling situation. A box is far better protection.
    Books & More For Sale: http://www.train-orders.com/RLD.html N Scale For Sale: http://www.train-orders.com/NFS.html

Railroadiana, RR photos & more- Please visit my TRAIN ORDERS web site!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying!" "The handyman's secret weapon- Duct Tape!" (Red Green)
    - (#1,10,11,15)-
    (GEC-ES #12, 18, 25, 51, 55, 64, 67 ,68, 79, 89, 90, 93, 110, 119, 127, 132, 136, 138)
    Do you issue Model Railroad passes? Let's trade!

Someone above mentioned that packages can be shipped cheaper than priority, BUT... read on This is first class from an NJ zip to a CA zip, with $30 ins and signature. $5.50
    http://postcalc.usps.gov/ExtraServic...2c+Apr+19&mt=7

Same thing, if done online or at post office in small flat rate box
    http://postcalc.usps.gov/ExtraServic...c+Apr+18&mt=14

Given these prices, I'd use the priority flat rate box. Otherwise TB folks will have to buy small boxes (raising price) and spend a little more time (that could be used making the cars).

Please keep the shipping simple and fair (as you have indicated) and I'm in.
    Marty

Firmly committed to Amtrak and a fantasy line. Now, just looking for the time to do it....