Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    here is a quick diagram of the room:

the dresser can be moved and the entrance is in the area that I marked off as unusable.
    and when I was talking about putting the staging cassettes on the bottom I meant the lower level going off to the left and right but now i see that if i did that the layout would be too wide.
    I am thinking of train lengths of 1 engine, 6 50' cars and caboose. that would mean that my cassettes would have to be about 34" long.
    That is true, about the yard location. Considering each of the two designs above (yard on "north" side and yard on "south" side) where would you want to put the staging if you were going to be the one operating it?
    I'm not an MRR subscriber so I don't know what the plan looks like. Would you either post a picture/trackplan or explain it to me?
    Kyle

hi Kyle,
    you could buy the February MR-issue of course or look it up in a library.
    Two additions are planned, a pretty long 3-track staging addition and an old one: Jim Kelly's Turtle Creek Mine.
    The theme of the layout is Virginian coal mining, a unifying theme.

I added the Turtle Creek Mine to your layout, though it's completely out of place on a Southern Californian City Belt Line.
    Also a staging yard is added, both are along the same wall, so you are able to walk around three sides of your layout.
    I kept the ATSF and SP interchange with the City Belt Line (CBL). The latter operating from the small yard up to the industrial areas up hill.
    Smile
    Paul

After doing some research on it I realized that the plan was introduced a year earlier than I had thought. I do have the issue where the plan was first introduced, and I was able to see on MRR's track plan database what the expansions looked like. And yes, that is very similar to what I was thinking of.

sorry for the double post but I can't figure out how to edit my post.
    Now that the "copy the published plan" phase is over I can be a lot more flexible with the design. I don't need or even want a HCD/rectangular layout. The only reason that I used a HCD was because it is simple and sturdy and the layout needs to be able to be moved. I will be moving in about a year and a half and the layout needs to be able to fit in the bed of a pickup truck. So if any one can come up with a layout shape that is about the same size as an HCD (the limit is about the size of the truck bed, roughly 4x9 I think). You I am ok if it needs to be split up to fit in the bed.

hi Kyle,
    at your age a love is easily forgotten.
    If you ever had the honour of transporting an 8x4 you would be less optimistic;
    so a last advice or two:

*Build something like the HOG in N scale, e.g. by dividing a 8x4 board into six 48"x16" sections.
    Dividing it in 4 sections was done to create the Heart Of Georgia
    The next plan might give you an impression what could be achieved on just two of those sections.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~layer-ten...sfv_layout.gif
    *Start building something today, time flies, you are talking about model railroading way to long.
    Paul

BTW editing a post is only possible for an hour or so on this website. The "edit post" key is gone then.
    Last edited by paulus; April 18th, 2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: adding a link

Paul's suggestion to build in sections is excellent. Especially if you expect to move, sections often adapt to a new space more easily than an island layout.

Quote Originally Posted by paulus View Post

The next plan might give you an impression what could be achieved on just two of those sections.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~layer-ten...sfv_layout.gif
    Here's the image

The full story of this HO shelf layout is here.

Since the original poster is in N scale, here's a similar N scale shelf layout concept

Hi Byron,
    two questions for you.
    1)Did the link to the Orphan Branch not work properly? Anyway seeing the plan is always a treat.
    2)In the second plan you have the team track between 2 other tracks.
    Transloading to and from trucks might be complicated when the other tracks are used. Is transloading supposed to be done in between sessions?
    Paul

Hi Byron,
    two questions for you.
    1)Did the link to the Orphan Branch not work properly? Anyway seeing the plan is always a treat.
    I just thought it would be easier for others to see it directly and to have the link to the full layout story.

2)In the second plan you have the team track between 2 other tracks.
    Transloading to and from trucks might be complicated when the other tracks are used. Is transloading supposed to be done in between sessions?
    Paul
    Yes, that is a compromise in order to place the team track near where it was located schematically in real life. It was pretty tight, but there was a little more room on the real thing. We were limited to existing shelving for this client, but he wanted to keep it as close to the real schematic as possible.

A more pleasing visual scene would be to leave a bit more room for the trucks to drive in and out. But in real life, it seems as if trucks did have to drive in over other tracks -- this was not a busy mainline.

Hi Byron,
    thank you, for your fast and and great reply.

Hi Kyle,
    The Milwaukee Beer Line was modeled by the MR-staff about 3 years ago; also a tabletop split in 4 sections.
    It could be operated as the beloved rectangle, the sections could also be connected like a big "J"; many configurations were possible.
    Paul
    Last edited by paulus; April 19th, 2012 at 08:25 AM.

Paul, I have those issues, and yes that is a nice layout, though after playing around with it in xtrkcad for a while I decided that it wasn't what I was looking for. I have been playing around with the HOG RR and here is what I have come up with:

Turnouts are kato #4 (except for 2 which are #6)
    minimum radius: main-13.75 (there is 1 12.375 section but it is only 15 deg.) branch-12.375
    max grade is 3% for the branch (and yes I did allow for vertical easements) that first crosses the main at 2" then ends up at a final height of 3".
    The yard can hold 30 cars for an operating capacity of 15.
    there are four staging tracks, the shortest of which can hold 8 50' cars an engine and a caboose.
    So how does it look? I am thinking of replacing the staging yard with another town or maybe just some nice scenery and using removable cassettes instead, what do you guys think?
    *warning philosophy ahead* you know, as I am writing this post I am having second thoughts about this plan, yeah, it represents my 'dream' first layout but is it really feasible? Maybe I should just build a small shelf layout and use an oval of unitrack on my table to get my roundy-rounder fix. I think thats why I was always so stubborn in the past about not downsizing my layout plans in the past: Everything that I wanted in a layout was theoretically within my reach, I had enough room to do what I wanted to do. And that dream layout seemed so wonderful and close that I refused to give it up. I think that the next plan I post will be smaller and/or pared down.
    so anyways now that my philosophical bit is over, What are all of the faults in the track plan? even I decide to completely change my plans, I still value critiques so that I can find where I still need to improve.
    Kyle