Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello from Northern California :D

Hey everyone, I'm new here from Northern California. After taking a 16 year hiatus, I've decided to get back into model railroading. It hasn't been hard to get back into the hobby, and I've realized how much that I've missed it. I never had any permanent layout, it's always been temporary. Now I've decided to make my first permanent layout.

I've decided to go with a 4x8 layout. I know, I know, I shouldn't. However, I feel it would best suit the area that I will be working in (a corner of my garage.) I've also decided to go a little different route. I already have a small collection of Dutch trains so I will be making a Dutch model railroad layout. I have fond memories going to the Netherlands as a child and always enjoyed riding the trains there. The Era I will be concentrating on will be the mid 90's (Era V I believe). This decision has left me with a few challenges ($$$ and availability) and benefits (The Netherlands has very little elevation changes: no hills, and canals are pretty straight.) I plan to add a few more sets, but this is what I have so far:

My layout will be a pretty basic double oval, I might add spur lines in the future. The outer oval is a combination of 18" and 22" radius curves, while the inner oval is 18" radius with 22" easements. This is what I have designed (for now):

I hope to learn more from this forum and look forward to talking with everyone. Thanks!

Welcome to Trainboard! I too am in northern California, only a little more north than you; about 23 miles from the Oregon/California border as a matter of fact.
    I did not see what gauge you are modelling, but it looks like HO. Good luck in your venture, and keep us up to date with your progress with photos.
    Bill
    Trainboard member #13
    Get Goosed on the Yreka Western

Blog Entries
    Hello, I'm a bit east of you. Good luck with your plans, they sound interesting.

Be sure to see if there are any local clubs that operate European prototype. I know in Sacramento there is a large group of European modelers with a modular layout.

Not quite the same part of the state, but some time back I got to take some time off from F Irwin to visit Barstow and Tehachapi. I loved it!

A Dutch themed layout will certainly be different from the norm. Looking forward to keeping up on your progress.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to TrainBoard!
    Books & More For Sale: http://www.train-orders.com/RLD.html N Scale For Sale: http://www.train-orders.com/NFS.html

Railroadiana, RR photos & more- Please visit my TRAIN ORDERS web site!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying!" "The handyman's secret weapon- Duct Tape!" (Red Green)
    - (#1,10,11,15)-
    (GEC-ES #12, 18, 25, 51, 55, 64, 67 ,68, 79, 89, 90, 93, 110, 119, 127, 132, 136, 138)
    Do you issue Model Railroad passes? Let's trade!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Yes, the layout is HO scale. It's beautiful up there in the State of Jefferson I'll have to check out that Sacramento group. As soon as I get my Linux server back up, I'll start posting on my blog. There's so much information on this forum, it's a great time killer :P

Blog Entries
    Welcome aboard! We're glad you found us.

Charlie

Frisco N Scale - Frisco Archive - Small signatures are good signatures - Support TrainBoard - Instagram: FriscoCharlie

Welcome to one of the best forums ever.
    Well, at least there is a lot of model railroaders in Santa Rosa and surrounding area. Not like north of you.
    Ken Price, Lake County Ca.
    Digitrax Super Empire Builder with radio throttles.
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/s...ice/?start=all

Quote Originally Posted by ken G Price View Post
    Welcome to one of the best forums ever.
    Well, at least there is a lot of model railroaders in Santa Rosa and surrounding area. Not like north of you.
    Thanks! Are there? I'm fairly new to the "scene" :ptongue: so I wasn't aware. I know there's a train show coming up, but that isn't until September

Hey everyone!

I just built up my wordpress blog. There isn't much content (yet) but it will definitely be a work in progress. Feel free to visit it:

http://blog.paulburkett.net/?cat=4

Thanks!