Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PRR K4 1361

PRR K4 1361

Well I did it. I ordered the last #1361 PRR K4 available from a certain hobby store located in the eastern USA. Had to do it as this locomotive has been designated as the official steam locomotive of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I guess there is still some hope of seeing her return to the rails under steam once more. I wanted a K4 along with other PRR steam but as we all know, "...PRR steam will not sell in N scale." So the model I ordered was an HO model and I am seriously considering doing what other N scale PRR modelers have done and that is to get out of N scale and switch to HO. Previously I was hindered in doing that due to space limitations but with a new house on top of a 30' X 50' train room that hinderance has been removed.

Good luck with your transition to HO.
    Respectfully,

David

Our Future is in our Hands!

Modeling the ATSF from Winslow to Barstow

Quote Originally Posted by DCESharkman View Post
    Good luck with your transition to HO.
    Thank you, but no final decision has been made yet. I am still weighing the pros and cons and will probably be doing so for a while. Right now my preliminary investigation indicates that the prices of rolling stock as well as the prices for locomotives for the two scales are about the same. I paid $119 for the HO K4. Track and turnouts seem to be comparable also. So we'll see how the K4 runs and go from there. It will probably all come down to whether I can get engines like the H, I and L series. These have been made in HO and have sold out. Of course none of them have been made in N.

I was thinking the same thing a few years ago, but then I ran into a guy selling all of his N Scale stuff, and a lot of it was what I was looking for which included about 8 steam locomotives I could never find. So I was able to dodge that bullet. Part of what I see now, that may be an issue for you, is that the market is really soft for selling these days. I see locomotives with decoders on eBay sell for $60 or less, most of the time. I rarely see DC locomotives every sell for more than 40$-50$. I picked up 6 older MTL boxcars in perfect condition for $28. So now may not be the right time to liquidate.
    Respectfully,

David

Our Future is in our Hands!

Modeling the ATSF from Winslow to Barstow

I often find myself considering the same option. If you love steam as I do, it's hard to feel fully satisfied with what is available in N scale. A lot of headway has been made with the development of steam in N. But unless I want to model some "fantasy" layout or add in some locomotives that the Erie Railroad never had and try to come with with a plausible rewrite of history to explain the existence of certain steam locomotives, N scale is really the realm of those who want to model diesels. My layout is one of them, but as I have managed to acquire several examples of HO brass Erie Berkshires and Heavy Pacifics, I am more and more convinced that perhaps I will venture back to HO eventually. Should the opportunity present itself to once again live in the Land of Basements (which Texas is definitely NOT), I believe it would be an easy decision to make.

As for your Pennsy endeavors, I've seen quite a few of the L-1 Mikados on that auction website quite frequently in the past year, and occasionally one of the H class (though not nearly as often). I think a lot of folks are bowing to the demands of the current economic woes and liquidating some of their collections in order to generate some extra cash flow, even if the price is less than they would like. It is a very good time to buy, not so good to sell. I will say that we're getting to the end of "model railroad season", so I would encourage you to sell soon if you choose before everyone comes out of their basements this spring. Otherwise you might as well wait until fall.

I'm not sure which part of the PRR you are interested in, though living in Pittsburgh I imagine the lines east of there hold attraction. As a Pennsylvania native myself, I always found their operations west of Pittsburgh to be pretty interesting and it also provided some options for other locomotives (N-1 and N-2 2-10-2's).

Anyway, if you decide to "pull the trigger", I wish you luck.

Thanks for the comments. If I do decide to sell off my N stuff it won't be on Ebay. We have a lot of small one day train shows in this area put on by volunteer fire depts, churches as well as model RR clubs and other organizations. Most of the venders have O scale and of course the ubiquious HO. Very little N scale is offered for sale. Our Ntrak club sets up at some of these and we get to talk to a lot of the people and surprisingly a lot of the people we see are in N scale. One vender who does sell N scale does a good business and is always asking us if he could buy whatever we have that we want to part with. So selling off what stuff I have, if I decide to actually do it, would be relatively easy and doubly so since my stuff is mostly Pennsy which is big here. However, let's no t put the cart before the horse. The decision to sell off the N scale stuff and go to HO has not been made yet and may never be made.

I've pondered the move to HO for the same reasons, but I doubt it will happen. If you ever decide to sell your N scale PRR stuff, I would be interested to know what you have available.

Scott

Well, as much as I'd hate to see you leave N, if you decide to do so, hit me up. I might be interested in throwing some cash your way in exchange for some PRR equipment.
    Modeling a transcontinental PRR

Pennsylvania Railroad

Well it came in the mail today. PRR K4 #1361, HO scale. It was with great trepidation that I opened it. I am now trying to find all that Bachmann EZ track I got with the On30 set we use around the Christmas tree so I can run it. If it runs well this will be one very, very difficult decision.

Inky- I moved from HO to N several years ago. I admit that I have watched BLI release PRR prototype after PRR prototype in HO and I have felt the temptation to switch back. I would strongly recommend that you do not let one piece of equipment make the decision for you. The critical factor for me has been the ability to run prototype length trains in a reasonable space. I keep coming back to the fact that for a given amount of space, you can get nearly four times the model in N versus HO (eight times in three dimensions). The options in N are much more limited, but you've still got the Minitrix K4 and B6, along with the I1Sa(lmost) that can be kitbashed into a decent approximation. There's also the GHQ L1 kit for the Kato Mikado, the Model Power P70, the Kato Broadway and GG-1, and any number of freight and passenger cars. Granted, many of these are not RTR solutions, but they are out there. Just figure out what's important to you and go that way.

Now I'm going to stop trying to convince you not to switch because I want dibs on your N-Scale stuff when you decide to let it go...
    Modeling a transcontinental PRR

Pennsylvania Railroad