Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nothing too spectacular this weekend. I spent most of my time at the club wiring in some new rotarys for block control.

I also have started experimenting with Flash on my camera to stop motion on moving trains. Lemme know what you guys think, I personally don't like the shadows cast from flash, but its the only way my little point and shoot will capture objects in motion.

2 RSD4's lead a train out of Thompson Canyon.

Same engines now powering past Terra Chemical

Both units are atlas RSD4/5's from the yellow box era. The lead unit was repainted by a fellow club member in addition to a bunch of details being added. Looking at this picture, I REALLY need to repaint my unit (the light blue eyesore).

The dual gauge yard at the pikemasters has finally been wired for operations! YAY! Here C-19 #345 uses a converter car to switch both narrow and standard gauge.

Enjoy everyone.
    Modeling Santa Fe circa the mid 50's on the La Junta Sub. and the C&S up clear creek circa 1900/1935

MGRy 201 ready for it's next assignment.

Running Bear

Managing director of the Midland Gulf Railway.

Geep_fan
    • "Nothing too spectacular this weekend. I spent most of my time at the club wiring in some new rotarys for block control.

I also have started experimenting with Flash on my camera to stop motion on moving trains. Lemme know what you guys think, I personally don't like the shadows cast from flash, but its the only way my little point and shoot will capture objects in motion."

Aah, concerned about 'motion' on a still photo. I'm confused.......

Daryl

When the kids are gone, you can be immature forever....

C & EI passes by Mill Creek campground

Mill Creek? This wouldn't be Mill Creek, IL, would it?

Quote Originally Posted by C&O Railfan View Post
    Mill Creek? This wouldn't be Mill Creek, IL, would it?
    It sure is, I was raised out to Clarksville where the lake is now. Do ya know the area????

Daryl, my little point and shoot has a difficult time taking pictures of objects in motion without blurring the picture. The lens doesn't allow enough light in to "stop" the motion. I started using flash to allow more light into a frame to make the pictures non-blurry. The flash removed the motion "blur" effect but I don't like the shadows cast by the flash.
    Modeling Santa Fe circa the mid 50's on the La Junta Sub. and the C&S up clear creek circa 1900/1935

Quote Originally Posted by Geep_fan View Post
    Daryl, my little point and shoot has a difficult time taking pictures of objects in motion without blurring the picture. The lens doesn't allow enough light in to "stop" the motion. I started using flash to allow more light into a frame to make the pictures non-blurry. The flash removed the motion "blur" effect but I don't like the shadows cast by the flash.
    The amount of light isn't the only problem. The other part of the equation is shutter speed. That might be the most important part. A faster shutter speed is required to effectively reduce motion blur. Your point and shoot camera probably has a fixed shutter speed and will blur anything that moves. The only thing freezing the motion when you use the flash is the extremely short duration of the flash. Since you're looking for sharp photos, why not just stage the trains in position? Once you take the picture, you can't tell whether they were moving or not.
    Michael Hampton
    Nashville & Southern RR

Michael,

Actually I can adjust the shutter speed on the point and shoot. I can also get it to take photos of the trains in motion without flash, but then the photos are ridiculously dark. I could stage my trains in position, but only when I'm operating them. Other club members aren't going to stop their trains just so I can get a few shots.