Blog Entries

Living in a train car

Russell Straw, Sugar Land Route

That is definitely cool.

Living in a Pullman is classy. Upscale trailer park!
    I want that one, and that one, and that one...

Blog Entries
    More than once I've thought of moving into railroad cars. And I've been looking through listings at websites that deal in such things and think it's even a realistic possibility. Maybe significantly affordable, too! If I could do it, I'd find a nice piece of land next to a mainline or at least a working spur, hopefully with it's own siding already in place (maybe a former industrial siding where the business has long gone belly up?). Then, if there wasn't anything else on the property, I'd build a metal building to serve as a garage/storage place, and a raised platform for easy access to the passenger cars (and maybe a boxcar for additional storage). The on-site building would give me a feeder for utilities (water, sewer, electric, Internet), and a fence would be added to keep it secured and safe from vandals. Optionally I could have a nice little caboose for my office (since I work at home anyway).

And if we needed to move, just get a flat car for the cars, then have it tacked on a train.

...And now, back to your regularly scheduled reality...

Northwestern Steel & Wire Co. in Sterling Ill brought so many new workers to Sterling in the late 40's early 50's that they build a small town of 100 or so freight cars painted silver to house new hires. They called it silver city. The picture in my signature is of one of the 060 Baldwins that operated until 1983.
    Bruce

Blog Entries
    Very interesting, Russell. I see the car was lettered "High Iron Company." Wasn't that Ross Rowland's early excursion adventure, I think featuring one of the NKP Berkshires, maybe 759? I guess Ross may have been the person referred to as needing quick cash. He was an investment advisor or some sort of Wall Street type at the time. :tb-confused:
    http://www.pioneer.net/~fitzrr/
    "The Water Level Route"
    Jim Fitzgerald
    Thanks to Siggie Masta for this great New York Central Avatar!

Blog Entries
    It seems unusal to me the military would go along with, then adopt such an idea. Certainly the right people were in command there.
    Books & More For Sale: http://www.train-orders.com/RLD.html N Scale For Sale: http://www.train-orders.com/NFS.html

Railroadiana, RR photos & more- Please visit my TRAIN ORDERS web site!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying!" "The handyman's secret weapon- Duct Tape!" (Red Green)
    - (#1,10,11,15)-
    (GEC-ES #12, 18, 25, 51, 55, 64, 67 ,68, 79, 89, 90, 93, 110, 119, 127, 132, 136, 138)
    Do you issue Model Railroad passes? Let's trade!

Quote Originally Posted by PW&NJ View Post
    More than once I've thought of moving into railroad cars. And I've been looking through listings at websites that deal in such things and think it's even a realistic possibility. Maybe significantly affordable, too! If I could do it, I'd find a nice piece of land next to a mainline or at least a working spur, hopefully with it's own siding already in place (maybe a former industrial siding where the business has long gone belly up?). Then, if there wasn't anything else on the property, I'd build a metal building to serve as a garage/storage place, and a raised platform for easy access to the passenger cars (and maybe a boxcar for additional storage). The on-site building would give me a feeder for utilities (water, sewer, electric, Internet), and a fence would be added to keep it secured and safe from vandals. Optionally I could have a nice little caboose for my office (since I work at home anyway).

And if we needed to move, just get a flat car for the cars, then have it tacked on a train.

...And now, back to your regularly scheduled reality...
    PW&NJ,

You could model this on your own railroad. That could be an interesting scene and a conversation piece. Kind of like putting yourself into your model...

r_i_straw,

Thanks for posting the link.

Michael

Blog Entries
    Interesting. Then the wife could see how enticing it actually is. Yeah, that's the ticket...

Quote Originally Posted by PW&NJ View Post
    Interesting. Then the wife could see how enticing it actually is. Yeah, that's the ticket...
    Yes she... uh... nevermind