Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

6x12 Track Plans

I'm looking for 6'x12' HO scale track plans of any type, to be used as inspiration for new ideas.

Put "HO scale track plans" in your browser &/or Google search & you'll get a bunch of hits. Are you looking for a walk around or around the wall (shelf) plan?
    Andy Jackson
    Bellflower CA

Quote Originally Posted by cajon View Post
    Put "HO scale track plans" in your browser &/or Google search & you'll get a bunch of hits. Are you looking for a walk around or around the wall (shelf) plan?
    I've Googled (and others) it MANY times before posting this request. The layout will be a walk around type but I didn't specify that because other track plans can be modified to suit my needs.

Blog Entries
    These are very worth your time for inspiration

http://lancemindheim.com/bookstore.htm

ratled
    Modeling a proto lanced SP line in the Klamath River area in 1980 - "The State of Jefferson line"

Dude, 101. It's the Gold Standard. The plans are all 55-75 years old, so with a few exceptions they're ALL table layouts and they're ALL spaghetti bowls. I keep a copy on my bedside table for nighttime reading, alongside the Kamasutra and C.S. Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudkip Orange View Post
    Dude, 101. It's the Gold Standard. The plans are all 55-75 years old, so with a few exceptions they're ALL table layouts and they're ALL spaghetti bowls. I keep a copy on my bedside table for nighttime reading, alongside the Kamasutra and C.S. Lewis.
    Dude, I know. I bought that book (and many others) over 15 years ago but it was of no help in this case.

Blog Entries
    Is 6x12 your layout space or available room space? If you could give dimensions of your actual train space (especially with details about where any obstructions might be), that would make it easier for us to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by PW&NJ View Post
    Is 6x12 your layout space or available room space? If you could give dimensions of your actual train space (especially with details about where any obstructions might be), that would make it easier for us to help you out.
    The room (garage) is much, much larger (18'x32'). However, I have decided on 6'x12' as the space I am willing to allow for the layout. There are no obstructions with room for a full walk around layout. The modular benchwork has already been designed and will be built very soon.

I only need to settle on a track plan at this point and I'm good to go.

Blog Entries
    Hmmm. One thing that comes to mind immediately is that you say that the modular benchwork has already been designed and will be built very soon. How do you know it will be compatible with the track plan you want? How do you know that it will be able to properly support the load of the tracks, scenery, electronics, etc.? If my memory serves me correctly, you had an interesting design for a folding sub-frame, but a layout of that size will have specific needs depending on how you build the layout. Anyway, I'll see what I can think up to suggest, but meanwhile, I would highly suggest not putting the cart before the horse. I can certainly understand wanting to jump right in and get it done, but I think you'll be much happier knowing you got it right, rather than feeling like you should've just waited a little bit more.

Hmmm. One thing that comes to mind immediately is that you say that the modular benchwork has already been designed and will be built very soon. How do you know it will be compatible with the track plan you want?
    Because I will design the track plan to fit the space allotted for it, in much the same way as someone who has a room of X and Y dimensions would select a track plan to fit the room.

How do you know that it will be able to properly support the load of the tracks, scenery, electronics, etc.? If my memory serves me correctly, you had an interesting design for a folding sub-frame, but a layout of that size will have specific needs depending on how you build the layout.
    Because I know what I am doing when it comes to structural engineering using wood. Having designed and built several homes over the years, a layout is easy by comparison. It's not exactly like I'll have to do live load, joist span, or hip jack angle calculations, but I could if I had to. Trigonometry, especially the pythagorean theorem can get quite interesting.

Anyway, I'll see what I can think up to suggest, but meanwhile, I would highly suggest not putting the cart before the horse. I can certainly understand wanting to jump right in and get it done, but I think you'll be much happier knowing you got it right, rather than feeling like you should've just waited a little bit more.
    I respect your opinion and fully understand the rationale behind it. One (not all) of the main reasons for building the smaller layout is to ensure that I get it (the main layout) right, the first time. I have the time, space, and materials so I see no reason not to proceed as planned. I see it as a no-lose or a win-win scenario.