Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My new layout

I love this layout, but there is definitely a level of hilarity to how we model railroaders, me included, produce videos. If you watch till the placement of the three span bridge, the timing of the dramatic music along with every gesture of the model railroader makes me giggle. I dunno, maybe I have a weird sense of humor. This video has some great train shots, but the music and the guy crack me up. And whats with the wind mill? This is the third model railroad I've seen with a windmill on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5jSTPl76rE

This second video has a really huge diesel in it. Very nice!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0AoyejIDY
    Geeky
    Keep yer countin' to your own damn rivets!

More progress on the benchwork.

IMG_3009 by thetraingeekboy, on Flickr

the night shot after I got the gap filled.

IMG_3015 by thetraingeekboy, on Flickr

Two days later I filled it in with plywood and then added hinges before cutting a gap.

IMG_3017 by thetraingeekboy, on Flickr

I've never used a lift bridge before. We'' see how it holds up when track gets laid.

IMG_3018 by thetraingeekboy, on Flickr

As always found lumber so some of it is painted mismatched colors.
    Geeky

IMG_3014 by thetraingeekboy, on Flickr

The lift from the outside. I may be adding some guides to make it really lock into place.
    Geeky

I'm kinda worried about the leg stability. Are those dropped like fence posts? Or are they just there, holding each other up?
    -Morgan
    8701 IS HOME! Expect to see it back on rails soon, accompanied by a second in memoriam business car. Click here for more information.
    Rest in peace Dad.

The legs go 18" into the ground on most of the layout. The sections along the chain link are strapped to the chain link posts and they go into concrete footers. It's pretty solid although I don't want anyone standing on them, then again I don't want anyone standing on any of my layouts indoor or outdoor.
    Geeky

Stick with it, outdoor railroading is fun. Your "benchwork" looks OK to me, I use camera tripods myself.
    Woodie

Thanks woody,

I figure if something breaks I just find more free wood in the alleys and fix it. Your layout is amazing BTW.
    Geeky

Another day, another plank. Didn't have my level or T square so it's just rigged into the layout. It's a little crooked but who cares.

IMG_3020 by thetraingeekboy

Up Next: Rounding the end curve to connect the oval. I'll probably do it in two stages.
    Geeky

I've moved my dialogue onto a garden railway forum.

http://www.selbygardenrailway.co.uk/sgrforum/index.php
    Geeky

Hi Geeky,
    I currently live in So Cal in the semi desert. I run Marklin HOac and have been designing a track plan along the fence line. I've drilled holes and mounted "L" brackets along the fence. I've also done the same along the patio support beams. I'm keeping the track in the shade as since it gets into the 90s & triple digits in the summer, the track expands plus Marklin "C" track has plastic roadbed. They also have "K" track which is more natural, but with the "C" track I can install digital turnout motors under the roadbed and control them from the Central Station. I got this idea when I had an extended mission layover in the UK and was invited to one of the squadron members home. He mounted his track along the fence and brick wall that surrounded his back yard on a narrow shelf.
    When I retired from the USAF, my wife wanted a garden RR so I introduced her to LGB and after seeing the prices, she agreed I should stay with HO and Z scales. I belong to European Train Enthusiasts www.ete.org and the So Cal chapter www.etesocal.org. I guess all the members have their layouts in their houses or garage. I prefer to run my trains since I love Looooooong trains and 26 cars don't look right on a table top.
    Rob
    Modeling Swiss Railways in HOac and Z scales on the Left Coast