Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Treating myself to a trip on Amtrak

I will be a guest speaker at a conference in Michigan next month and looked into taking the train as opposed to flying. I love to fly, but it's just gotten to be such a hassle. Due to time constraints, I'm still flying up, but as the conference ends on a Friday evening, I'm going to take the train home. It's a two day trip by train but I splurged and got myself a roomette for the overnight portion. I've taken coaches up the East coast before, but never had sleeping accommodations. It'll also be my first trip on a Superliner.
    I'm catching the Pere Marquette out of Michigan to Chicago, then the Capitol Limited just before dinner for the overnight to Washington. I can't wait to have dinner in the dining car. My only other experience eating on a train was the snack bar. Once in Washington, I catch the Northeast Regional back home to Williamsburg, VA. I'm really looking forward to this. It'll be something to look forward to after the conference.

Blog Entries
    Good choice on the roomette. If it can be afforded, it's a nice way to go.

Please grab a few photos and let us know how the ride goes.

Boxcab E50
    Books & More For Sale: http://www.train-orders.com/RLD.html N Scale For Sale: http://www.train-orders.com/NFS.html

Railroadiana, RR photos & more- Please visit my TRAIN ORDERS web site!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying!" "The handyman's secret weapon- Duct Tape!" (Red Green)
    - (#1,10,11,15)-
    (GEC-ES #12, 18, 25, 51, 55, 64, 67 ,68, 79, 89, 90, 93, 110, 119, 127, 132, 136, 138)
    Do you issue Model Railroad passes? Let's trade!

Blog Entries
    Have fun. I always have fun. And if the train is running late, that is just more time for you on the train. The last train ride I took, I rode the train first and then flew home. Wow, what a let down to be shoe horned into a little airplane seat and strapped in for two hours. The guy sitting next to me should have been required to purchase two seats but that is a different story.

Keep us posted on the voyage.
    Russell Straw, Sugar Land Route

Quote Originally Posted by BoxcabE50 View Post
    Good choice on the roomette. If it can be afforded, it's a nice way to go.

Please grab a few photos and let us know how the ride goes.

Boxcab E50
    I wasn't going to bring my good camera, but you can bet I will now. I have a pretty good layover in Chicago, so hopefully I can do a little railfanning while I'm there, too.

It will be memorable trip! We took Amtrak from Chicago to San Diego in a sleeping car 12 years ago and it was the best experience(when we moved to the left coast). You may or may not get too much sleep but it is well worth it if you can afford it. The meals in the diner were outstanding and the service was great. Last June for our 25th Anniversary, my wife and I flew to Toronto and took VIA rail and the Rocky Mountaineer to Vancouver - another trip for the memories! If you bring your camera; take shots out your sleeping car window and not the dome cars as the glass is curved and will fool the camera. Depending on your layover in Chicago; there are lots of photo ops within a few blocks of the station.

Have fun

Brian

Blog Entries
    You DO know that going on such an adventure requires you to post a report and pictures here upon your return Enjoy!
    Metro Red LineUnder the streets of Los AngelesCheck out my N scale layout blog!

The last 8 years of working I took Amtrak's Crescent between Slidell, LA and DC 90% of the time rather than fly. Not only was the train more convenient and pleasant, the sleeper (roomette) was less expensive than two hotel nights in DC, I was away from home fewer days due to the train travelling overnight, and the rail fare, including the roomette, was 2/3 the cost of coach airfare. Couldn't beat them apples.

As said on the Chattanooga Choo Choo..."Nothing Could Be Finer Than Dinner In The Diner..."

Besides, all meals are FREE with a Sleeper ticket, which makes them even Finer!
    Hank....I may have to Grow Old, but I Never have to Grow UP!!!

If you're in the diner as a solo you'll almost certainly be assigned a tablemate. That can go any number of directions... but you don't have to share photos for that portion. :tb-cool:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudkip Orange View Post
    If you're in the diner as a solo you'll almost certainly be assigned a tablemate. That can go any number of directions...
    All and all I have had quite pleasant tablemates. A few were a little weird, like the psychic who wanted to analyze everyone's handwriting to predict their future.
    Russell Straw, Sugar Land Route

Wink "North By Northwest"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mudkip Orange View Post
    If you're in the diner as a solo you'll almost certainly be assigned a tablemate. That can go any number of directions... but you don't have to share photos for that portion. :tb-cool:
    If I get Eva Marie-Saint, *I'm* not telling! ;-)
    Mike
    GN-Z-Phile
    Seattle
    Modelling the Empire Builder at 1:220