Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4x4 layout in N

4x4 layout in N

I'm considering doing a 4x4 this summer. I have a couple plans on paper but wanted to hear y'alls suggestions.

Givens and druthers:

- At least two main lines, so you can have two trains "idiot running" continuously at once.

- Ability for two-train, opposite-direction operation on at least one of the mains. Basically this means having at least two separate sidings/passing tracks on one of the mains. More is okay.

- Absolute bare minimum passing loop length is 4x 20m EMUs, or about 23". Preferred length is 6x 20m EMUs, or about 34".

- At least one connection between the mains (crossover, etc) so I don't have to use the 0-5-0 shunter.

- Some spur tracks where possible.

- Minimum radius 11", prefer at least one mainline to be 12"

I have no real scenery preferences at this point and figure that will just flow naturally from whatever plan is chosen. Suggestions?

Square layouts can be a little odd. I have looked at planing quite a few. If you can do 3x5 you might get a little more length for spurs and such.

What prototype are going to model?
    Geeky
    Keep yer countin' to your own damn rivets!

here is the best 4x4 N Scale layout that I have seen

http://home.comcast.net/~j.sing/Peav..._Overview.html

Modeling Casa Grande in the mid 1980's...before the BORG

4'x4' is an awkward shape, so was messing around with the challenge.
    Came up with "Four Square City & Thensome":

The key is the zig-zagging scenic divider. The inner loop rises (max 1") & threads through it & so takes part in both scenes: a overpass truss bridge and raised retaining wall on the city side, with an appearance on a bridge between tunnels on the mountain side. The spaces on either side can be adjusted (if you wanted a longer mountain bridge, etc.).

I tried to set it up for photography or at least viewing that would focus on smaller scenes: The odd-angled buldings, canal and city flats create the illusion of crowded urban space, with some of the central buildings acting as mini-scenic dividers.

The Main has two passing sidings, one in each scene. Outside main is 12" radius minimum, though that's only in short sections. Inside main is 11"r min.

Too many sidings / industries? Remove whatever you want & expand the main accordingly.

For this plan, I limited myself to Atlas C55 track & turnouts (curved & #7, with a few #5s for industry spurs). This plan uses quite a few curved turnouts. Atlas curved turnouts are rather large, so using custom built curved turnouts (like Fast Tracks) could open up a little more space & finnesse a better flow. Depends on what kind of motive power & rolling stock you're partial to.

Not sure if this is close to what you're thinking, but at the very least it was fun to play around with & maybe will give you a few ideas.

Have fun!

Aaaaawesome.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bremner View Post
    here is the best 4x4 N Scale layout that I have seen

http://home.comcast.net/~j.sing/Peav..._Overview.html
    I concur. One of the best 4x4's I have ever seen.

Defy Gravity--Ship Rio Grande
    My Rail Images Album
    My Trainboard Albums
    "What you run to in your time of need has become your god" --Anonymous

wat.......
    TrainBoard Attached Thumbnails TrainBoard Attached Thumbnails mudkip_3lcr.jpg  

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MC Fujiwara View Post
    4'x4' is an awkward shape, so was messing around with the challenge.
    Came up with "Four Square City & Thensome":
    Nice. I like how it avoids the often seen 'around the edge' type looping.

Boxcab E50
    Books & More For Sale: http://www.train-orders.com/RLD.html N Scale For Sale: http://www.train-orders.com/NFS.html

Railroadiana, RR photos & more- Please visit my TRAIN ORDERS web site!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying!" "The handyman's secret weapon- Duct Tape!" (Red Green)
    - (#1,10,11,15)-
    (GEC-ES #12, 18, 25, 51, 55, 64, 67 ,68, 79, 89, 90, 93, 110, 119, 127, 132, 136, 138)
    Do you issue Model Railroad passes? Let's trade!

Quote Originally Posted by Mudkip Orange View Post
    wat.......

Makes absolutely no pretension to any switching ops at all.
    Fabulous!

It's the ultimate 4x4 roundy round.

You spin me right round, baby, right round, like a record, baby, right round, right round.

Should be fun to build & watch trains go
    [for awhile]

Yeah, I don't own a single piece of N scale freight, just commuter EMUs... and the next 5 trains on my "list" are also passenger trains or trams.

Prototypical operations thus mostly consist of cramming as many trains into the existing network as possible. It is not uncommon on Japanese singletrack lines to have three-way meets, e.g. westbound express passes westbound local while both pass eastbound local. Most rural stations were built with one side platform and one island platform for this purpose.

On a layout this small there isn't enough linear track distance for any kind of overtaking, but a single station served by multiple lines provides the same visual interest. The thrice-around (the line that is the innermost track at the main station) has a second station with a passing loop (the one in the top right corner), so it's possible to run this singletrack with two trains in opposing directions, alternating meets between the main station and the secondary.